Archos tablets.. REALLY ARCHOS? wtf..

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I've ordered 3 Archos tablets.. Windows 7 and Android mixed..

Strike 1. WHY ARE THEY STILL USING RESISTIVE TOUCH SCREENS ON BOTH THE W7 AND ANDROID?!

Strike 2.. Why are they using ANDROID 1.0?!?!?

Are they completely lined up to fail? Is Archos really that dumb of a company?

MasterRy88

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
HAHAHAHAh yeah those tab run 1.6 I believe. I bought the Galaxy Tab and never looked back..

But what you have to realize is those tabs are priced for poor people to have a tablet like smartphone when they cant afford a good one. I have also heard of people getting those for their kids so they stop messing with the parents phones

MasterRy88

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
ok now that is HORRIFIC. I dont even know of any devices that run that (well I guess I do now but WOW)

EDIT: Was there ever even a phone that released with android 1.0?

Digiflame

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
The new tablets (43,70,and 101) run froyo. You're *****ing about the 5th and 6th generation when they're on gen 8. They're also using capacitive screens. The only drawback for some is the lack of google apps and market but there's an easily available apk to add them.

Last edited:

jiggaman

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Sniffs. Where have you been? My Archos 101 run froyo, flash, Google apps, has a capacitive screen and a 1ghz processor. ALL FOR $300! The only downside is the viewing angles are not great.

kellsarah

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have an Archos 5 IT 16 GB, with built in GPS receiver and Bluetooth it is running Android 1.6, but also has Archos APIs that allow it to run all kinds of video formats and up to 720p video. It has a resistive touch screen but it is pretty high res for its 5 inch size at 800x480.

I also have an Archos 7 Home Tablet that is running Android 1.5, this device has the support for 720p albeit it doesn't play the MKVs at 720p as smoothly as the Archos 5 IT and it is missing the Bluetooth, and GPS

The 5 IT is a gen 7 device and the 7 HT (actual model number from Archos is A70HB) isn't really like anything else from Archos it is like a bastardized version of the 5 IT without the GPS, or Bluetooth with a lower speed processor. that was released only 5 months ago and it has only gotten 1 update from Archos today

aznmode

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
LOL umm archos is up to Gen 8 now that will ship with froyo or upgradable to froyo. I just ordered an Archos 70 and will be getting it next week. The only thing I really didn't like was no built in GPS but I haven't really seen one with GPS on a 7 incher for less than $300 shipped.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
i heard.. probably not really a hardware defect..the stock Ui is HORRIBLE...its super slow.. root, mod and youv got like the best android tab out..its got superior hardware..just the default ui was really really bad

jiggaman

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I have had an Archos 101 for a week now and I really like the device. It is not as polished as my Incredible but it is still a great device. It will do what any other Android 2.2. tablet will do as far as flash, HDMI out, usb out. The viewing angles from the screen are not the best and the screen quality is not as good as my amoled Incredible but for $300, there is not another tab that can do things better. It suffers the same problems that any android tab suffers from in that the os was not designed for a tablet. I see no reason to spend the extra money for a galaxy tab or even an ipad.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
the viewsonic tabs are tegra2 which is dual core..the archos 101 isnt dual core. when honeycomb gets relessed, itll take full advantage of the dual core. i cant wait!

thurm2000

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Archos 70 250GB

I got the Archos 7.0 250GB model yesterday. Ordered it on saturday from the Archos site. It didn't have Froyo installed but directed me to update it as soon as I turned it on and hooked up to Wi-fi. Just installed Android Market from,(RapidShare AG, Cham, Switzerland), for free. Hooked up the HDMI to my 50in Samsung 3D plasma, pisture is good but when this is done the tablet becomes a mouse pad and goes blank. Plays almost all formats but did have to download a plugin for ac3 audio and a few other video files, cost 14.99 directly from archos. It found my network drive right away and was able to view all my movies and music. The music and video player have a button for storage when you open them. Th picture app wasn't as easy, it doesn't recognize my server, still working on that. The Appslib market is ok but I was used to Android Market on my Droid. Plus the google apps seem to make the unit much better. I bought the recommended case from Archos.com, it fits snug but completely encloses the unit. Hopefully they will come up with some sort of flip case. Installing the market was easy, 1st time I've ever tried to hack. My only complaint is with the ac adapter plug. It is on a slight curve on the unit and doesn't quite attach all the way when you plug it in and it doesn't charge with the usb plug. Maybe they can fix that with a firmware update. All in all, I love this unit, I paid $350, the 8GB model is only $275, but I figured I'd never run out of room.

Robrasta#AC

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Gen 8- 7 inch not bad at all ..

Bought as gift for 7 year old daughter .. $275 on Amazon cant be beat. HUge difference between Gen 7 and Gen 8 models (Froyo, capacitive touch, etc). Its great as media player and coffee table tablet. Daughter reads e-books, plays age appropriate games, plays videos/music, and recently set her up with google voice account for texting. Running LauncherPro allows me to place direct message contacts for the 5 or 6 family members shes allowed to text with. And yes, Daddy gets to have his phone back now

Web browsing is fine though flash sites really tax the machine - Archos has indicated an optimized flash plugin is scheduled for release by end of month (C'mon Adobe!) Not quite as speedy as my EVO but with a few tweaks, it does almost everything the EVO can do in a larger format.

After being impressed with the A70 model, I considered ordering the 101 10 inch version for myself.. However, With all the new tabs slated for 2011 and Honeycomb around the corner, I think its prudent to see what else comes available over the next few months.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463