Raspberry Pi - which starter pack is best?

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I like tinkering. I also like retro gaming. For these reasons I'm considering picking up a Raspberry Pi starter pack to build my own machine.

Jerry, do you have any recommendations on what to buy? There seem to be a lot of package options on Amazon, and I could use your help!

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Chris and I just looked at a bunch last month for a Kodi thing. We both liked this one

https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Rasp...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5657626

Really, any kit with a board, case, sd card (unless you have extras laying around) and a cable (ditto about laying around) is where to start. Get everything up and running with a keyboard/mouse/gamepad on your computer monitor first. Then look at options for a cabinet and LCD if you want to build a standalone retrofunbox.

My neighbor's son and I are in the process of building a NES mini clone. We're still in the "make it work on the monitor" stage because I'm forcing him to do all the OS setup and coding.

I'll drop this here:

ControlBlock · petRockBlog · Online Store Powered by Storenvy

It's a prebuilt board for adding a NES/SNES controller complete with a power toggle and usb header.

Make something amazing man. Like a full-size Donkey Kong arcade replica.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps building a barebones PC? At least that way, some more functionality can be used, like also using it for music and movie watching, say like a home theatre system?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My neighbor's son and I are in the process of building a NES mini clone. We're still in the "make it work on the monitor" stage because I'm forcing him to do all the OS setup and coding.

I'll drop this here:

ControlBlock · petRockBlog · Online Store Powered by Storenvy

It's a prebuilt board for adding a NES/SNES controller complete with a power toggle and usb header.

Make something amazing man. Like a full-size Donkey Kong arcade replica.

Interesting my brother and his son are doing something VERY similar!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante