I was wondering if by doing a factory reset on a used device, how confident am I that a nefarious app or system hack isn't still there?
    05-26-2017 06:50 AM
    You can't. The device has a unique identifier number and that is known by Google and others. When you connect to the internet, or log into any account, the device will try to synch everything to the device you just reset.
    There are a few articles regarding this in the news section of the site, by Jerry that are worth reading...
    werkx likes this.
    05-26-2017 10:52 PM
    I don't think that that's correct. I've had to reset phones a time or two and not everything syncs.
    werkx likes this.
    05-29-2017 09:50 AM
    I was wondering if by doing a factory reset on a used device, how confident am I that a nefarious app or system hack isn't still there?
    There is no definitive answer to your query, it's all dependent on the situation itself as there are just too many variables involved. Take note that a Factory Reset does NOT affect the Android operating system on your mobile device. It only wipes the /data partition on your device's internal storage memory. There are several partitions in your device's internal storage memory, most are dedicated to the operating system and (unless you root your device) you don't even have any direct access to. The /data partition however, is 'your' partition, that's where all your files and things get stored. Apps, and their individual caches, you install yourself also reside there. But the operating system and system-related apps reside elsewhere, and that is a significant point. An exploit (be it a 'nefarious app or hack') that gets added to that user data partition will be wiped clean in a Factory Reset, but conversely a more serious exploit that infiltrates the operating system will be harder to remove. Again, a FR doesn't affect the operating system at all. To clean out a compromised operating system, you need to re-flash the ROM, a more cumbersome process than a Factory Reset.

If you give us more details on your situation -- your device model, what version of Android, un-rooted or rooted, and what the actual problem is -- we might be able to give more solid suggestions.
    werkx likes this.
    05-29-2017 01:33 PM
    Thanks for the responses. From what said, factory reset/wipe will or should clean out the user data and apps, but won't touch the system partition. So, I should be more worried if the device is rooted previously. Now, how to tell if it's been rooted?
    05-29-2017 03:41 PM