Expensive auto reply international text virus/malware...How do I get rid of it?

Michael Smith-o

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Nonsense error text message from 19008006200 results in auto reply text "STATUS" at a cost of $0.05 each. Often arrive 3 to 12 at a time. Does not need SMS activity to trigger it. If any SMS app is enabled on Droid Turbo , including the native Verizon app, then texts charges are billed every couple days to hours!

No tech recommendation have served me as of yet. Preparing to change phone number (one I've had for 20 years!) or switch to iPhone!!! Neither of which are my preference.

Did factory reset with only restoring contacts through Google. Still the same day 3 new text charges. No credit from Consumer cellular as my "carrier," as the texts register as being sent from the device. ATT tech support declines to help although true network is ATT. Tis texts problem originated back 6 pos ago when I switched from Verizon to Consumer cellular to save over $ 100/ month.i

Deactivated phone x 5 days and reactivated it with same SIM card, since the newly purchased SIM card failed. Text began again same day.

Would appreciate advice of one with experience, as changing phone no or buying new phone is not ideal.

Thanks
Michael

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
What phone is this?

In my Pixel XL (currently running Android O beta, but I do not think that is relevant), I can open the phone app, tap Menu -> Settings -> Call blocking -> Add a Number so that "You won't receive calls or texts from blocked numbers."

If they are always coming from the number you mentioned above, then that should fix it.

Michael Smith-o

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
This was my first effort after checking forums; call (or text) blocking is not a true block; rather it will send it to a file that is hidden as if not received, but it still triggered the auto reply thus continued to generated. a charge for every International text.

Contacted both tech support dept of consumer cellular and ATT; both gave me no option for blocking only INTERNATIONAL TEXTS. Option to disable all texting they can do but so can I on any mobile device. Currently I use the Droid turbo without text function until I determine if it is the cell no of the device. I already determined that all SMS apps that I have used still are vulnerable (Except WhatsApp). Would like to have a native app for routine SMS /texting.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The 1-900 number you quoted above is not an international number but a simple US-based "Premium rate telephone number" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premium-rate_telephone_number ). It's essentially the opposite of a 1-800 number in that one is free to call from anywhere and the other is pay to call from anywhere. You should be thankful that you are only getting hit $0.05 per call as these lines can often incur charges of tens or even hundreds of dollars per minute/call.

Pay particular attention to this paragraph from the article linked above:

Consumers in the US have specific rights regarding 900 number calls, as laid down by the Federal Trade Commission, such as the right to a disclaimer at the beginning of the call and a subsequent 3-second hang-up grace period, the ability to contest billing errors, a prohibition on marketing to children, and a requirement that telecommunication companies must allow the consumer to block dialing to 900 numbers. US telephone companies are prohibited from disconnecting local service as a means to force payment for 1-900 calls.[6] Various attempts have been made by vendors to circumvent these protections by using Caribbean or other international numbers outside Federal Communications Commission jurisdiction to bill US telephone subscribers;[9] the former +1-809 countries were popular as their North American Numbering Plan format numbers look domestic but are not.[10] The 101XXXX dial-around prefixes were also briefly the target of abuse by premium number providers posing as inter-exchange carriers, a practice which has now been stopped. A loophole which allowed US (but not Canadian) providers in toll-free area code 800 to bill for calls by claiming the subscriber agreed to the charges has also been largely closed by more stringent regulation.[11][12]

You might be able to do something with that info, like get your carrier to recover the charges for you, ban the number, whatever. You might also file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
AT&T is not going to help you for a good reason - you are not their customer.

You've gotten some good information about 900 numbers - see if you can do something with that.

Do you have Do Not Disturb on? What version of Android are you using? I'm not sure which versions this applies to, but certainly in older versions if you have DND enabled, it will automatically send a text in response to a call or text.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power