100gb+ inaccessible "other files" on MicroSd

Outerlimits777

May 1, 2020
Visit site
I know some variation of this question has been asked, as I've read several related threads. However none applied to my situation.

I purchased a note 9 with Android 9 from an friend, and he included a 256gb samsung microSD. I went ahead and did a factory reset as well as upgrading to Android 10.

I noticed that there are 100gb+ files on my 256gb card that are designated as "other files" and are inaccessible by me regardless of where i look or how i try. Now my note 9 wasn't previously set up to have the microsd as adaptable storage - some on here have said it might be encrypted files from such a setup -> however to my knowledge the note 9 doesn't even allow you to set up your sd card in such a fashion.

My buddy wants me to try and recover those "other files" in case there's something in there he forget to save/backup.

Can you guys/gals point me in the right direction toward recovering / accessing these 100gb+ of "other files" on my microSd ?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! There used to be a workaround on Samsung devices to format an SD card as Adoptable Storage using ADB commands, but I'm not sure if that was possible on a Note9. This workaround is a bit involved, so it's something your friend would've remembered doing -- ask him if this might be the case.

I agree with methodman89's suggestion. That's the easiest place to start.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Some streaming apps can store media on the sd card but the files aren't accessible, it's a possibility that is what you're seeing. I know Google Play hides music files like this.

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
Meh, get the card out of there.
Have him throw it on -his-PC not yours.
It could be hotter than the sun... lots of malware, viruses and trojans just waiting for a home out there.

Make sure after the data if any is recovered to do a low level format on it before putting back in the phone.
For card stability if nothing else.

Outerlimits777

May 1, 2020
Visit site
Methodman,
I'll give it a shot.

BDiddy,
He's not tech savy enough to do anything that isn't straightforward, but I'll ask him.

L0n3N,
Good info. He's a limo driver so he was probably streaming the crap outta' his phone.

Blackhawk,
Haven't thought about malware being on there. Good catch! **Q**: Generally speaking, is there any real difference / advantage to formating the card on a pc as opposed to through the phone?

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
Methodman,

Blackhawk,
Haven't thought about malware being on there. Good catch! **Q**: Generally speaking, is there any real difference / advantage to formating the card on a pc as opposed to through the phone?

You can't perform a low level format on the phone.
Low level formatting apps like this also check the card and prepare it to be formatted ensuring there's no data reminants that could corrupt the new data.
Simply "erasing" the data isn't enough and if transferred to a different device say another phone or cam, it can cause unpredictable data corruption*. Best to always format a card in the device or/if unformattable in the phone to do a low level on the PC.

Apps like the Lexar one can access and low level format otherwise unusable cards that even Windows disk management can't format.
I've seen this happen with new cards that otherwise were undamaged.

*Saw this happen on Canon bodies.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol