Black Screen of Death after Android 10 Update

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Unusual one this and I can't find anything like it anywhere. Yesterday morning I was prompted to update my OS to Android 10. I plugged in the power cable and did so. No issues and 10 is up and running.
This morning the screen is black. I'ts vibrating as though I'm getting a notification and I can reset it, but after the Samsung logo I only see a black screen. When I enter safe mode I can only see the words "safe mode" in the lower left corner and nothing else. When the phone is on and I only see a blank screen I can say "okay google" and the assistant pops up with some reduced abilities, but it says it's in flight mode.

Any ideas?

Blue_Smarty

May 6, 2020
Visit site
Thank you, I'm not registered. I can't get to the factory reset option; safe mode has no options available.

It's a Galaxy A7 (2018). Safe mode only says the words safe mode in the lower left corner and nothing else' there are no menu options.

Last edited by a moderator:

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. It sounds like there was a problem with the update that affected the stock launcher. What happens if you swipe down from the top of the screen with one or two fingers? Does it open the notification shade or the quick settings panel?

You can also try wiping the cache partition from Recovery.

Blue_Smarty

May 6, 2020
Visit site
Still under warranty, but will take two weeks for a replacement hand set!

I can't do anything except to force restart the phone

If I swipe from the top (even in safe mode) nothing happens. If I say "Hey Google" the assistant pops up, but can't do very much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue_Smarty

May 6, 2020
Visit site
Everything I ask the assistant is responded to with "Your phone's in flight mode" and it gives me an option to turn it off, but I can't action it. I can't even ask it to turn off flight mode or open settings.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Everything I ask the assistant is responded to with "Your phone's in flight mode" and it gives me an option to turn it off, but I can't action it. I can't even ask it to turn off flight mode or open settings.
Ugh, I think your best chance is flashing the firmware, as Mustang said. Sorry.

Just in case, are you using an SD card?