01-29-2022 02:12 PM
37 12
tools Reply
    I ALWAYS schedule my software updates for when I am asleep. Obviously, this is to make sure I can use my device when it is needed, ie while I am awake. Usually, I schedule the update at either 2am or 3am. Ever since getting the Samsung Galaxy 10e, software updates occur the next morning, about an hour after I get up and start using it. This means that 2 or 3am has passed, and my phone has completely ignored my scheduled software update. I wake up, see the notification that the software still needs to be updated, it even tells me that the update is now scheduled for 10:30am, a time I would not choose, as I have an ALARM at 10:30am. 10:30am comes and goes, no update is performed. The update decides to ONLY start once I am actively using the phone for about an hour. I have searched for an answer to this problem, have seen a LOT of similar questions asked, but no answer given is ever pertinent. I do not have battery saver on, the phone remains powered on all night, I have even stayed awake until the scheduled update time and just stared at my powered on phone, waiting for it to update, and it does not. What gives? Why give me an option to schedule the software update if the phone is determined to ignore me?
    05-06-2020 12:03 PM
    Once you dismiss it few times it will then automatically update.

I'll leave a Link to register so you can communicate here as a guest account you can only post questions but can't reply.
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=409154
    05-06-2020 12:19 PM
    Once you dismiss it few times it will then automatically update.
    That is not remotely what is happening here.
    05-06-2020 12:48 PM
    That is not remotely what is happening here.
    Hi, welcome!

So you never dismissed it ?
    05-06-2020 12:56 PM
    Not even the first time. It pops up saying there is an update and asks when I would like to schedule the software update. I schedule it. Phone forgetfullness occurs.
    05-06-2020 12:57 PM
    Not even the first time. It pops up saying there is an update and asks when I would like to schedule the software update. I schedule it. Phone forgetfullness occurs.
    Ok ..can you post a screen shot by going settings >software update tap
    05-06-2020 01:09 PM
    Of course not. The phone has already updated, per my original post. Plus, that is not even how the notification occurs in the first place. It is a notification in the notification menu. I never have to manually update by going into Settings.

Also, this has been occurring without fail every single time an update is available since September 2019.
    tomysamsung likes this.
    05-06-2020 01:16 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Do you have the phone scheduled to Auto Restart every night? https://www.androidresult.com/how-to...on-galaxy-s10/. If so, maybe that's interfering with your scheduled software updates.
    05-06-2020 01:27 PM
    Of course not. The phone has already updated, per my original post. Plus, that is not even how the notification occurs in the first place. It is a notification in the notification menu. I never have to manually update by going into Settings.

Also, this has been occurring without fail every single time an update is available since September 2019.
    Its not what I'm asking , go to software update page i like to see your options Why does my phone ignore a scheduled software update and then update whenever it feels like?-screenshot_20200506-151002_settings.jpeg
    05-06-2020 02:10 PM
    Also your carrier your on ?
    05-06-2020 02:11 PM
    Do you have the phone scheduled to Auto Restart every night?
    No I do not.

the phone remains powered on all night
    05-06-2020 02:22 PM
    05-06-2020 02:24 PM
    carrier your on ?
    Sprint
    05-06-2020 02:24 PM
    Sprint
    Thank you , so toggle the automatic update over wifi next time and choose your schedule and see if it works.
    05-06-2020 02:27 PM
    Why? I WANT the phone to auto check for updates over wifi. When it finds an update, the notification appears, then and only then do I schedule the update. With that toggled off, I will have to manually check for updates and will not be offered a schedule.
    05-06-2020 02:29 PM
    Where does the schedule option appear? (Sorry, I don't have a Samsung phone, so I'm not familiar with that setting.)
    05-06-2020 02:37 PM
    Why? I WANT the phone to auto check for updates over wifi. When it finds an update, the notification appears, then and only then do I schedule the update. With that toggled off, I will have to manually check for updates and will not be offered a schedule.
    It might interfere with scheduling
    , as that wants it to download once its on wifi as soon as its available and might override scheduling
    05-06-2020 02:58 PM
    Where does the schedule option appear? (Sorry, I don't have a Samsung phone, so I'm not familiar with that setting.)
    As soon as the download gives a prompt then it gives the option
    05-06-2020 03:00 PM
    Where does the schedule option appear?
    I get a notification that says an update is available. I tap the notification. It gives me two options, Install now, and Schedule install.
    05-06-2020 03:01 PM
    as that wants it to download once its on wifi as soon as its available and might override scheduling
    That's not what happens,though. It never auto installs when it's available. It installs like 24 hours AFTER it is available, and about 8 hours after my scheduling.
    05-06-2020 03:03 PM
    That's not what happens,though. It never auto installs when it's available. It installs like 24 hours AFTER it is available, and about 8 hours after my scheduling.
    I understand that, but it might interfere, would it hurt to give it a try? Its not easy to test because you have to wait until next update comes
    05-06-2020 03:05 PM
    I get a notification that says an update is available. I tap the notification. It gives me two options, Install now, and Schedule install.
    When it asks when you want it scheduled, does it give you the option of waiting a certain number of days? Maybe it's only giving you a time option for the rest of the day, and things reset after midnight.
    05-06-2020 05:02 PM
    would it hurt to give it a try?
    I'm going to have to, HAHA!

When it asks when you want it scheduled, does it give you the option of waiting a certain number of days?
    No.

Maybe it's only giving you a time option for the rest of the day, and things reset after midnight.
    Why would it give me an option for 2am, if it reset after midnight? No, this makes absolutely 0 sense.
    05-06-2020 07:20 PM
    I'm going to have to, HAHA!

No.

Why would it give me an option for 2am, if it reset after midnight? No, this makes absolutely 0 sense.
    Yes , We will have to wait and see .
    And please show little more respect, B. Diddy did mention he doesn't know Samsung devices and ask a fair question while trying help you .
    05-06-2020 07:26 PM
    I agree that it would make no sense -- but that's not to say the engineers always take this into account when they design something (or they may just have made an oversight). If this were in fact the case, then it's a reason to send them feedback.
    05-06-2020 08:23 PM
37 12