4G not working on Samsung note 8

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hey there!
I got Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (us version and I don't live in us) and when I try to use 4G LTE it says your current software version is supported. How can I solve this?
Thank you for your cooperation.

Dagi777

May 11, 2020
Visit site
My phone's model number is SM-N950U its run on android pie.
And I live in Ethiopia my network carrier is Ethiotelecom,it provides services in 4G and 4G LTE and I had upgraded my sim to 4G LTE recently.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When exactly does that error message appear? Are you trying to adjust the Preferred Network Type? Does the phone work on 3G/HSPA?

Another possibility is that you have a fake Note8. Where did you get it? Run an app like CPU-Z to find out what kind of processor it has. If it's a Mediatek, then it's a fake.

Dagi777

May 11, 2020
Visit site
I t happened when I got tired of 3G and upgraded my sim card to 4G,I never tried to access 4G since my sim card was not supported before,when I was eligible for the service I tried to turn on the 4G LTE service but in the network option only 2G and 3G appear. And the phone works fine on 3G/HSPA.
And my phone is not fake its original I hv used CPU Z and everything mets the standards of Samsung's company.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I t happened when I got tired of 3G and upgraded my sim card to 4G,I never tried to access 4G since my sim card was not supported before,when I was eligible for the service I tried to turn on the 4G LTE service but in the network option only 2G and 3G appear. And the phone works fine on 3G/HSPA.
And my phone is not fake its original I hv used CPU Z and everything mets the standards of Samsung's company.
Can you stop by your carrier store have them configure the APN? Or they closed down do to the covid19?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The fact that you don't even see a 4G option in the Network Mode menu really makes me think it's a fake. These companies can be pretty clever about fooling device info apps, so you may need to try different apps like that. There's a guy on YouTube who goes by Smoorez who likes to try various knockoff phones, and he tests them with various device info apps to see what their actual specs are. Try out some of those apps -- you can see them at around 37:00 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWuchuCyBCk

Dagi777

May 11, 2020
Visit site
I've used the apps the guy mentioned and its 100% genuine.
And I've tired to read about note 8 4G network and I found out some of Us version note 8 phones might not work in other countries,I highly suspect the problem is with the software version since when I try to turn the voLTE icon in the notification bar its says "you're software version is not supported. Visit customer service" and I don't wanna go to the service shops cause they charge alot,I wanna fix it by my self.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Is there a way I can upgrade the software version,that might change the situation.
No , that phone supports all 4 carrier In the US.

It should get 3g or 4g but it will depend on region your in and carrier APN you using .

It's same as international version might not be able connect in the US properly do to it's bands the phone has , that why these phones have different version and chips for each region.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
It is because the US version and the International version uses a totally different processor. The US version is a Snapdragon chipset and the International version is using an Exynos chipset. It makes it difficult to use the alternative version when it is in the wrong region.

Dagi777

May 11, 2020
Visit site
I'm sure it's from the phone's software. I've checked my sim on other phone and 4G works fine.
I don't know how I can share you guys screen shots,I'm having trouble in the site when I try to upload them,it might give us more insight.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci