Certain apps(Twitter, amazon prime, netflix not working over wifi but work over mobile internet

spaceboy13

May 23, 2020
Visit site
I have 500 mbps fiber setup at home installed a week ago. I have found that on android note 9 certain apps like netflix, twitter, prime video, amazon shopping (But Youtube works) dont work. But they work fine on mobile internet. Running these websites on my laptop they work fine over wifi. I also found that my sony android smart tv is facing the same problem with the same apps not working.

I tested these apps on an Iphone-they worked fine. They also worked fine on oneplus7.

I have rummaged forums and platforms trying to solve this problem but no help so far. My wifi setup is as follows:

GPON Router(given by my ISP)----TP Link Router(Setup as an accesspoint)--- My android device

Also on my phone by using a vpn I gain access to these apps.

Pl help guys

Spaceboy.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Have you tried to force stop the VPN, forget your Wi-Fi from connection settings, clear the phones cache partition and reboot. Rescan and add back your Wi-Fi. Seems like you narrowed it down to a configuration or conflict issue. Good luck

spaceboy13

May 23, 2020
Visit site
@methodman89 I deleted the VPN setup as you said and followed those steps but its still not working.

A few things I have learnt during this time

1. My ISP router (GPON fibre router/modem) also has wifi. I have tried directly connecting to its wifi rather than the TP link access point, but the apps still not dont work.

2. Also the web version of these apps like twitter, amazon are also not working on the Wifi as well (the homepage just loads partially and nothing else happens). This probably means my ISP has some issue with the android platform particularly Samsung and Sony Bravia (since its only affecting my Smart TV and Note 9 and not Apple Iphone and One plus 7)

3. Now whether the issue is at the android level or ISP level? I feel that since all this apps work fine on laptop, iphone, one plus 7 with same Wifi its likely to be at the android level

So what settings/ports maybe for the android I need to make is something that needs figuring out...

Spaceboy.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
So, you have a combination modem /wireless router and a separate wireless router? Are both from your provider?
Are they dual band and have you tried both 2g and 5g? Is the seperate wireless router for a security system?
Also, try different browsers and try a Ookla Speedtest, and post the result.

spaceboy13

May 23, 2020
Visit site
So my setup for using note 9 / Smart TV is something like this:

Alphion 1601 GPON Router/ Modem provided by ISP (In which the optical fibre cable is plugged in)--------TP Link AC 1900------ Phone/ TV

THe Alphion GPON Router/Modem also has Wifi (Single Band)---The wifi range with this is less and I get low speeds.

So I bought the TP Link Archer A9 AC1900. This has been setup only as an access point mainly to extend WIFI around the house and get higher speeds with it

When connected with Wifi of the ISP router/modem I get lower speeds

In both cases (Direct ISP Wifi and TP Link Wifi) I am unable to connect with the android apps and their websites.

I am attaching the screenshots. Have tested wesite version of these apps on different browsers. Still not working.

Spaceboy.

Attachments

• ISP router.jpg
    ISP router.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Tp Link.jpg
    Tp Link.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 2

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Your connection looks good. If you have done everything above, and it's a few apps, my last advice is to delete the apps in question, clear the cache partition and reboot, reinstall the apps.
If still not working, other than your region being blocked for those apps, or I don't know.
Others may have additional advice if the above does not work.
Good luck

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I have 500 mbps fiber setup at home installed a week ago. I have found that on android note 9 certain apps like netflix, twitter, prime video, amazon shopping (But Youtube works) dont work. But they work fine on mobile internet. Running these websites on my laptop they work fine over wifi. I also found that my sony android smart tv is facing the same problem with the same apps not working.

I tested these apps on an Iphone-they worked fine. They also worked fine on oneplus7.

I have rummaged forums and platforms trying to solve this problem but no help so far. My wifi setup is as follows:

GPON Router(given by my ISP)----TP Link Router(Setup as an accesspoint)--- My android device

Also on my phone by using a vpn I gain access to these apps.

Pl help guys

Spaceboy.
I notice you have a TP-link router. I recently had to throw mine away. Netflix and Disney Plus was refusing to connect through it. I was using it as my fibre modem and router. I got my ISPs router out and everything immediately connected. I tried the TP-link again and they failed. I am just wondering if you are suffering from the same issues I did.

spaceboy13

May 23, 2020
Visit site
Thanks Kirstein for pitching in.

I also felt that the TP link router was to blame. So I connected to the wifi of my ISP modem/router and tried to access the apps. Got no luck.

Currently TP Link is configured in access point mode so I dont think it would restricting anything. Its main use is to extend the wifi coverage in the house since the ISP router wifi is single band and has poor strength

Spaceboy.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. Encryption may be causing the problem. Try switching (on both routers) from TKIP to AES or from AES to TKIP. (Don't use TKIP+AES, or you'll have both of them to contend with at once.)

2. See the last section of https://10-0-0-0-1.org/how-to-bridge-routers/ starting at "How To Bridge Two Wireless Routers?"

After a little more research, try going into the GPON router and cutting the MTU size back by about 100 bytes. If it's not listed numerically (something like "default"), set it to 1400. See if that helps.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL