I have a problem with voice recorder app!!!!

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I was recording a meeting, and after that I tried to listen to the recording but it is on 0:00, so I thought maybe I didnt recorded it, but there is 78,5 MB. I tryed to transfer it on my laptop, still it says it can`t reproduce it. Can anyone help me to unlock or decode that 78,5 MB, it would mean alot to me.
Thank you.

dario9327

Jun 13, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for the link @Mustang 7757. @Galactic Zoo, file type is M4A. Maybe I will try to explain it better. So I was at a meeting, and I was recording it with a voice recording app (file type: M4A), when we finished the meeting I opened my phone to save the audio recording, and when saved the audio recording, it saved with 78 MB, but time is 0:00 (here is a screenshot, it is the number 163.) Screenshot_20200613-080426.jpg
I tryed to decode it or whatever the word is for that, with program called audacity, but with no luck.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you recall if there was any kind of error message while you were recording? Or did the recorder app suddenly close before you actually stopped the recording? What you're describing makes me think the recorder app failed during the recording process, thus resulting in a corrupt file.

dario9327

Jun 13, 2020
Visit site
@ B.Diddy I was checking every 20 min, and everything was fine. When I wanted to save it there was "this" on my screen. I think just accidentally pressed something on the phone, and "this" pops up. And then I saw it was on 0:00. Screenshot_20200613-092123.jpg

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Audio files are tricky. I found this out the hard way when using a digital recorder from Walmart. Anyway the recordings don't seem to be as universal as video files or purchased audio and tend to want to be played on the device or with the app they were recorded with. Having said all of that it is odd that the file won't play on the device it was recorded on. I've seen many files where the format doesn't match any of the codecs and the time can't be extracted but not usually on the device or within the app used to make the recording.

How did you recreate the screen in your second screenshot?

Aside from the timestamp being zeros what makes you believe the file is not playing? Does the indicator change from > (play) to ll (pause) when you attempt to play the file on your phone? Or dose it remain > (play)? I ask because if it changes as though it is trying to play the file but no audio is heard, I wonder if you accidentally switched to camera microphone, which I am assuming is on the back of the device and the sound might be muffled. Let's imagine that it did switch to the camera mic and the sound is just muffled, have you tried listening with the volume at max, or while wearing headphones? Best case is the time is messed up and the audio is muffled.

When you attempt to play the file if the > (play) symbol doesn't change to the ll (pause) symbol I would imagine there should be an error. However you don't mention an error message when attempting to play the file. Is there one, yes or no?

Have you tried locating the file with a file manager? Instead of using the app try to locate the file with the file manager. You don't say what device you have, but the file manager is often named "File" in your app drawer. Once located you can attempt to play it with the file manager or it may offer you a choice of apps to use to open the file. In this way you may have another app that can play the file. You could also attempt to rename the file with a different extension like .mp4 or .mp3. Often media file codecs are similar enough that they can be recognized even when the file extension is changed.

Javite nam što ste pronašli
Hopefully I got that right.

dario9327

Jun 13, 2020
Visit site
@VidJunky
I recreated the screen beacause I remembered what was on screen when I looked at the phone and a few hours later I was serching through the options of the voice recorder and I found it.

So when I press " > play" it goes to " || pause" for about half a second and goes back to " > play". So beacause of this I couldnt click play and listen to it, not on on high volume, not with headphones.
I already tryed the thing with file manager.
I am trying now to decode the m4a file.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
@dario9327
Well it's odd that it would start and then stop so quickly and without an error. I guess the promising thing about that is at least it is trying.

As for your attempt to decode, not really sure what else to call it at this point, the file, there are several audio file repair programs for PC. You didn't mention your method, but if whatever you're trying doesn't work out, perhaps just a file repair/recovery program. If you hadn't thought of that already.

Best wishes.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
@ B.Diddy I was checking every 20 min, and everything was fine. When I wanted to save it there was "this" on my screen. I think just accidentally pressed something on the phone, and "this" pops up. And then I saw it was on 0:00. View attachment 321485

What does "Odustani" mean? Google Translate says it means "give it up" in Croatian, but that doesn't sound right -- does it mean "Cancel" or "Accept"?

When that window popped up during your recording, did you just tap Odustani, or did you change the selection first? If you changed the selection mid-recording, perhaps that corrupted the file.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781