GPS altitude tracking on Samsung A40 on mapmyrun app.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I run with my samsung a40. Uphill/downhill mostly. I recently installed the mapmyrun android app.

My question is this. How accurately does the app/phone track changes in altitude ? Can it track uphill running accurately and adjust calorific burn accordingly ?

Or does it just measure distance ?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central. To reply to this thread and receive notifications when comments are posted please create an account. This link will help you do that... https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community-new-post.html

I did a quick Google and it doesn't appear that your device has a barometer so elevation would depend on software within the app. If the app I looked at on the Play Store is the same as the one you installed, it does appear that the apps attempts to track distance and elevation. A cursory look at the reviews didn't seem to indicate users reporting issues with tracking elevation, again this is for the app I assume is the one you have installed, but elevation may not be as important to those leaving reviews as it is to you. Reviews are always the place to start when questions about an app arise as people are more apt to point out an apps short comings than what it gets right.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
GPS measures elevation as well, once per second, the same as horizontal motion. You can use GNSS View to see how accurate your VDOP (vertical dilution of precision) is - the lower the number, the more precise it is. GPS Status & Toolbox will give you your altude. (It used to show HDOP and VDOP - I have no idea why they removed them.)