I am considering buying an Asus Chromebook but I need to know if it will perform the following functions:
    1. Email - send/receive
    2.Download/Upload photo's & few videos
    3. Can use SSD card from my camera
    4.Link to my printer
    5. Type up letters & print off
    6. Access Google
    7. Keep Diary

I know these are quite basic things to ask but not being very technical I have no clue. Any help with answers would be gratefully received. TYIA
    Morty2264 likes this.
    06-26-2020 08:29 AM
    I am considering buying an Asus Chromebook but I need to know if it will perform the following functions:
    1. Email - send/receive
    2.Download/Upload photo's & few videos
    3. Can use SSD card from my camera
    4.Link to my printer
    5. Type up letters & print off
    6. Access Google
    7. Keep Diary

I know these are quite basic things to ask but not being very technical I have no clue. Any help with answers would be gratefully received. TYIA
    Welcome to Android Central! I have an HP Chromebook that I love - ill do my best to answer your questions. I'm new to Chromebook myself, so I'm not sure if there are any manufacturer-specific features between devices.

1. Yes, you'll have access to Gmail immediately, once you input your Google account at the beginning of the Chromebook's setup.

2. Are you talking about RAM or space to download? I've been able to download videos and pictures successfully on my Chromebook, and it has a small RAM/storage size. I just delete what I don't need and go from there.

3. My Chromebook has an SD Card slot - I would assume most Chromebooks would have that feature. Perhaps check the spec sheet of the Asus Chromebook you are looking at to make sure.

4. I think thisnis available for setup using USB.

5. Google Documents has a ton of different settings and templates to use - I'm sure you'll find what you are looking for with regards to writing letters!

6. Google Chrome is built into the Chromebook upon activation. So is the Google Play Store. I downloaded Netflix on my Chromebook! You will find Google is very helpful when it comes to your new laptop!

7. Is that a part of Google Keep? I know that whatever you create in Google Docs will automatically go to your Google Drive - but I am unsure about Keep Diary, I apologize.

I hope I was able to help you out a little bit!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    06-26-2020 10:33 AM
    Omg you have been amazingly helpful. Thank you so much. I wiil check the Asus spec to see if it has an SD Slot. I guess a diary is not so important as I can just use my phone or buy an actual diary. I really just wanted to check I can get Google internet so if there is Google docs I'm guessing I can Google pretty much anything. Regarding photos I just wanted to be able to transfer photos from my phone to the chrome book. Thank you for all your help, you are most kind.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    06-26-2020 11:45 AM
    Omg you have been amazingly helpful. Thank you so much. I wiil check the Asus spec to see if it has an SD Slot. I guess a diary is not so important as I can just use my phone or buy an actual diary. I really just wanted to check I can get Google internet so if there is Google docs I'm guessing I can Google pretty much anything. Regarding photos I just wanted to be able to transfer photos from my phone to the chrome book. Thank you for all your help, you are most kind.
    Welcome to Android Central! I am glad you made an account with us!

You're welcome! I'm so glad I was able to help you in some way! I'm still really new to the Chromebook experience, myself!

Yup, Chrome's OS is baked in so you have Google internet and everything! It's really super neat.

Absolutely, you can transfer photos from your phone to your Chromebook. I just save my phone's photo to Google Drive and then I can access it on my Chromebook. Or I just email the photo to myself. There are many ways to make that work!

With regards to the diary, you can always create a Google Doc and then it will automatically save to the Google Drive on your phone. Then you can update your diary from your Chromebook or your phone - wherever you want! I wrote a novel on my Chromebook and so having it on Drive has been very helpful. I'll attach a picture of what Chromebook's Google Doc set-up looks like so you can have a better idea of what I'm talking about. Let us know if you need anything else!
    06-26-2020 12:40 PM
    Here's a sample of what Google Docs will look like when you open it up! I'm now obsessed with it!New to Chromebook - Should I buy?-20200626_124145.jpeg
    06-26-2020 12:42 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! I'm a big fan of Chromebooks (and have far too many of them) -- I think you'll really like it! Although Morty2264 already gave a great thorough answer, I have a few things to add:

3. What size SD card does your camera use, and what size card does the Chromebook you're considering accept? I think most cameras still use full-sized SD cards, but some Chromebooks only have a microSD slot (in which case you'd have to get an external USB SD card reader).

4. Printing on Chromebooks has gotten a lot easier and smoother in the past few years. Apart from connecting via USB, you can also connect via wi-fi very easily (if your printer supports that).

7. Keeping a diary is simple with any of the various word processing or note-taking sites or Android apps available. If you want it to be secure, you'd probably need something besides Google Docs or Google Keep, since I don't think there's a way to lock down those files (apart from the PIN/password that you should set up for unlocking the whole Chromebook in the first place, like with any computer).
    Morty2264 likes this.
    06-26-2020 01:03 PM
    Thank you so much for your help. Is much appreciated.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    06-26-2020 01:04 PM
    Morty2264. Your help has been invaluable. Thank you so much
    Morty2264 likes this.
    06-26-2020 01:06 PM
    Diddy. Thank you for all the info too. My camera has a microSD and my printer links to Wifi as well. Hopefully will all work together. Many thanks for your help.
    B. Diddy and Morty2264 like this.
    06-26-2020 01:08 PM
    Diddy. Thank you for all the info too. My camera has a microSD and my printer links to Wifi as well. Hopefully will all work together. Many thanks for your help.
    Great! One more wrinkle -- if the Chromebook's SD slot is for a full-sized SD card, then you'd need a full-sized SD adapter for the microSD (which are really cheap, if the microSD didn't already come with one).
    Morty2264 likes this.
    06-26-2020 01:33 PM
    Thank you. Will look into this
    Morty2264 likes this.
    06-26-2020 01:38 PM
    Morty2264. Your help has been invaluable. Thank you so much
    I'm so glad I could help you! Let us know when you get your Chromebook and how you are liking it!
    mustang7757 likes this.
    06-26-2020 08:26 PM