On my older phones (all android), I used to be able to save a specific message tone in addition to ringtone in my CONTACT's profile...now, you can only designate in the text string ...if I clean out my messages, the specifics are wiped out...additionally, in a group text, the specific message tone would still come through for each individual, even though it was a group message...thus, the specific message tone was saved in the contact profile and stayed through and through because it was saved there. Why did android do away with this and are they going to take the hint to return to this feature?
    07-02-2020 10:33 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Which phone do you have now, and which phones did you used to have that had this ability?

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/as...community.html
    07-02-2020 12:21 PM
    I'm running Android 10, and the capability to add a designated ringtone for a contact is still there on my Note 9. As @B.Diddy asked, what device is important to help members help you. Thanks!
    07-02-2020 12:27 PM
    Google and Samsung (and maybe others) removed the SMS notification sound from the individual contact record in the contacts database in Android 9 or 8.
    LG kept the field, at least in their high-end phones. Some other makers may have done the same.

The work-around is to put the notification sound in the conversation header if your SMS app supports such a feature.

If I remember correctly -- not a safe bet -- Google was going to put the field back due to all the complaints. I don't recall if they did or not.
    07-03-2020 06:29 AM