My built in Android email app is memorizing every email address of people I've sent email to, and I want to get rid of the memorized addresses. This is NOT a Gmail account, so please dont suggest any Gmail solutions - everyone just seems to assume that everyone on the planet is always using Gmail. Its a regular Verizon email account.
    Phone: LG Fiesta
    07-10-2020 11:41 AM
    what do you mean memorizing email addresses? could it be only autocompleting? or auto adding to your contact list? exactly what email app? exactly what email service. you said verizon but they own several services. including aol and yahoo.

fyi, in general gmail solutions could work with most other email services. most users are smart enough to convert the solution to work with their specific service. It gives an idea of what to look for.
    07-10-2020 12:39 PM
    You will probably have to clear the app's data from the application manager. If there isn't a setting in the app to prevent this, then you may have to go to a third party app.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-10-2020 12:39 PM
    I mean that when composing a new email, and I start typing in the "To:" field, it opens up a list of every email address I've ever sent to, even if they were insignificant email addresses of people I'll never talk to again. For example, if I start typing in my friend John's email address (john@email.com), as I type in "J,o", every email address I've ever sent to that has "Jo" in it, will come up in that list. I want to clear that list. They are not people in my "Contacts".
    I already did look in the mail app's settings, and in the Accounts & Sync settings. I always try first before asking around. I found nothing.
    07-10-2020 01:49 PM
    I mean that when composing a new email, and I start typing in the "To:" field, it opens up a list of every email address I've ever sent to, even if they were insignificant email addresses of people I'll never talk to again. For example, if I start typing in my friend John's email address (john@email.com), as I type in "J,o", every email address I've ever sent to that has "Jo" in it, will come up in that list. I want to clear that list. They are not people in my "Contacts".
    I already did look in the mail app's settings, and in the Accounts & Sync settings. I always try first before asking around. I found nothing.
    you need to answer all questions asked if you want specific help.
    Laura Knotek and VidJunky like this.
    07-10-2020 06:56 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Go to Settings>Apps, select the Email app, then Storage, then Clear Cache. Now see if it persists.
    07-10-2020 10:18 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Go to Settings>Apps, select the Email app, then Storage, then Clear Cache. Now see if it persists.
    With all those lovely words in the opening I just feel all giddy inside and motivated to help. Anyway I'd also clear the app data to go along with what B. Diddy said. Sorry but like you I had to get in there as well.

It may still be the service and not the device. I know when I was using AOL it did the same thing. It actually saved me a handful of times though. I guess see if clearing the app cache and app data works if not, I'd log in to the account on a PC, you don't have to use Chrome for that if you don't want to, and trying to clear the history there as well. It didn't matter if I still had any emails from or to that person but you may also want to try deleting any un-needed correspondence. It might be looking at that to pull names as well.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    07-11-2020 05:44 AM
    Clearing the app data should clear the email account(s) already set up.
    @the original poster: the "built in Android email app" is different, depending on which phone you have. Some manufacturers use an email app other than GMail, which is "the default Android email app". (And if you're used to a different email app, from using it in a PC or laptop, you may want to mention which one you'd like, because there are some that emulate the ones used in Windows or Linux [or maybe Mac]. I use Thunderbird in Linux and Windows, so I use FairEmail in a Pixel [that probably makes some purists shudder], because Fair is pretty close to Thunderbird [it was designed to be].)

And how you keep the app from "remembering" email addresses is different from app to app. (For instance, in TB, you can tell it to remember or not, and you can clear any it has stored. Fair doesn't remember by default.)
    07-11-2020 04:30 PM