before 10 android update i go to recovery with 9 android and no errors. i updated to 10 via ota. i had wifi problems i go to service, and service reinstalled software, now i see this error in recovery.

On doing a hard rest, I saw the following:

Quote:

#Reboot Recovery Cause is [BL:Recovery Mode Set by key]#
    E:[libfs_mgr]Unable to disable quotas on /dev/block/platform/13d60000.ufs/by-name/userdata because /system/bin/tune2fs is missing

what is?
    07-12-2020 05:32 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Which phone?

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/as...community.html
    07-12-2020 06:11 PM
    im having the same problem with a samsung a20
    08-09-2020 09:17 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Did you get your phone brand new, or used? Did you ever root or modify the phone?
    08-10-2020 11:40 AM

Hey!

I knew I smelt misery. Thus, company! I happen to be in the same boat, and having searched the vast collection of reports of this exploding I am pretty sure that the latest update was a smidge... toxic(?) to stability and such.

Oh! Details...

• Samsung Galaxy A505-w.
    • Not Rooted.
    • Purchased new.
    • No significant trauma.
    • Maybe two minor hits, ( <1ft ).
    • Updated.
    • Lock Screen was changed to turn it off, now it won't let me. The UI loads telling me to provide whatever, and there is nothing there. I can't do pattern, pin, or password now.
    • My phone resets at random, seemingly arbitrary points in time.
    • I'm suffering a neurological condition that gives me about an hour of memory. My phone is my notes, my alarms, my everything is plugged into that. Without those, I honestly don't have an idea of the time or awareness of time passing. These alarms tell me to wake up, take meds, eat, everything. I'm not looking for sympathy, I'm just blown away and this is essential to the narrative.
    • I contacted support, who was unable to help me.
    • Support got me to download an App and fill in a ticket on some support App of theirs. Promises prompt replies too. ( You know what's coming. )
    • I threw everything I had into the email trying to find out if there was a work-around or something that could allow me to wait out this getting fixed. I explicitly told them about the problems I'm experiencing medically as well as technically.
    • 12 hours later, getting ready for bed when they finally reply.
    • Telling me that they are sorry, but I need to go to a different department's website and launch another ticket.

That about brings me here. I just kind of shrugged after that. I use a traditional alarm to wake myself up, and I reboot the stupid thing when it gets stuck on the second splash screen with just: Samsung This update should have had a chalk outline around the logo. My phone randomly goes back to the second splash too. It's a coin toss if it recovers, and if it doesn't it sits there on that screen and I wake up around noonish in mind numbing pain because of missed medication. I have found ways to work around this issue using my tablet, laptop, and desktop.

The only solutions I've been seeing involve flashing the previous update or using Oden to flash the fixed update. Isn't it great? I might have to root my phone with fixed stock OS. That's so... yeah. I lack words.

Be well, stay healthy, and always let both wisdom and compassion guide you on your path.⁽™⁾
         Marc S.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-01-2020 12:19 AM
    I have a SM-A205U (A20) Samsung. This seems to be an update issue with the 10.1 update from t-mobile and metro pcs phones. It has never had any mods and you cannot unlock the bootloader the U.S. versions of this phone so rooting is not possible at this time.
    10-18-2020 05:22 PM
    Here is what the recovery page shows now. Notice it lists system info twice at the top of the screen. Possible partition issue maybe?
    Attached Thumbnails Unable to disable quotas on dev/block/platform because system/bin/tune2fs is missing-resized_20201017_213435.jpg  
    10-18-2020 05:26 PM
    Here is what the recovery page shows now. Notice it lists system info twice at the top of the screen. Possible partition issue maybe?
    Reflash the stock firmware
    10-18-2020 06:05 PM
    I have tried. Odin says pass every time but nothing changes. I have flashed many phones and have never had any issues. Even though it says PASS and it shows it loading. I'm not sure it's taking hold. Also a side note. After flashing the phone restarts and then a few seconds later restarts again.
    10-18-2020 07:10 PM
    Something not right, what did you use for region ?
    Where did you get the firmware?
    10-18-2020 08:18 PM
    I have a SM-A205U (A20) Samsung. This seems to be an update issue with the 10.1 update from t-mobile and metro pcs phones. It has never had any mods and you cannot unlock the bootloader the U.S. versions of this phone so rooting is not possible at this time.
    To root an A20, follow the instructions here. You don't use recovery, you patch the A20 boot.img file, convert it, then flash it with Odin.
    10-19-2020 03:09 PM
    Something not right, what did you use for region ?
    Where did you get the firmware?
    I have downloaded the firmware from Sammobile as well as Samfw both TMK. XAS and USC. My phone is network unlocked on metro pcs
    10-19-2020 03:54 PM
    That rooting process only works for other variants of the A20. The SM-A205U is not on that list. You must be able to unlock the bootloader. Impossible on this version at this time. I wish it was. Lol
    10-19-2020 03:56 PM
    To root an A20, follow the instructions here. You don't use recovery, you patch the A20 boot.img file, convert it, then flash it with Odin.
    That rooting process only works for other variants of the A20. The SM-A205U is not on that list. You must be able to unlock the bootloader. Impossible on this version at this time. I wish it was. Lol
    10-19-2020 03:57 PM
    I have downloaded the firmware from Sammobile as well as Samfw both TMK. XAS and USC. My phone is network unlocked on metro pcs
    Yes US phones don't have bootloader unlocked, I will look at this later, see what we can come up with
    10-19-2020 04:19 PM
    Can you go one security patch down from what your on?
    10-19-2020 08:26 PM
    I'm not sure. It's now on 10.1 and ui 2.0. I can give it a try.
    10-20-2020 09:40 PM
    I'm not sure. It's now on 10.1 and ui 2.0. I can give it a try.
    Yeah see , that way we figure out if this update is the issue.
    10-20-2020 09:45 PM
    Hi, I am using Samsung S10+. I had this problem (error: tune 2fs missing...PDP t the recovery screen etc etc) sometime in February 2020. I brought to Samsung as it was under warranty. They reinstalled OS, and I did not check with recovery. Came home and only about a week later I tried recovery and saw the same messages...So I went back to Samsung, wrote a feed back at Samsung, cc to CTO, CEO etc etc..qot back the phone in one hours time, again OS reinstalled, and AT the facility itself tested..and SAME ERROR!..SHOWED it to tech personnel who said they do not have a solution..and warranty would be over in about a week!...So now Dec 2020, its still the same. Problems; sometimes when using WiFi, on chrome the screen freezes..cannot proceed...for less than a minute..than continues. Also I suspect its a Boot Loader Location write error...But how come so many Linux and Android experts cannot explain what "tune 2fs missing" actually is..and PDP failure(??)..etc. at least at program function level?
    12-18-2020 06:36 PM
    Hi, I am using Samsung S10+. I had this problem (error: tune 2fs missing...PDP t the recovery screen etc etc) sometime in February 2020. I brought to Samsung as it was under warranty. They reinstalled OS, and I did not check with recovery. Came home and only about a week later I tried recovery and saw the same messages...So I went back to Samsung, wrote a feed back at Samsung, cc to CTO, CEO etc etc..qot back the phone in one hours time, again OS reinstalled, and AT the facility itself tested..and SAME ERROR!..SHOWED it to tech personnel who said they do not have a solution..and warranty would be over in about a week!...So now Dec 2020, its still the same. Problems; sometimes when using WiFi, on chrome the screen freezes..cannot proceed...for less than a minute..than continues. Also I suspect its a Boot Loader Location write error...But how come so many Linux and Android experts cannot explain what "tune 2fs missing" actually is..and PDP failure(??)..etc. at least at program function level?
    Hi, welcome to AC!

I never heard that message before "tune 2fs missing" actually is..and PDP failure(??)"

Try resetting chrome issue, by long press the app then tap info , then go storage clear it's Data and force stop it .
    12-29-2020 12:16 AM
    Reply to ((Mustang)) below suggestion:
    Sorry ,The suggestion below is not valid..because, all the description of the problem and the actions have shown no amount of data clearing and resets have removed the "tune 2 from missing" problem..

The actual problem message in full is as typed below:

1. Once the wipe cache is done all cache is cleared...so clearing Chrome data etc woukd have been cleared..so suggestion is not valid

2. And as mentioned not once but twice the OS or standard samsung S10+, upgraded ROM has been re installed at Samsung tech site( or factory standard)..so Chrome and every standard app in the phone is reinstalled and thus no data etc would remain...so the suggestion, to clear chrome data.. is not looking at the major part of the problem which is the error message. The error maybe causing a problem.. unknown..unseen..as the same error, which can be googled as "tune2fs missing" cited by users will show up many times...and I am sure the basic problem solving like clearing cache etc have been done by these users..

The full typed error message as seen at recovery screen is as follows:
    ""((
    E:[libfs_mgr]Unable to disable quotas on /dev/block/platform/13d60000.ufs/by-nam
    e/userdata because /system/bin/tune2fs is missing
    Supported API: 3
    # MANUAL MODE v1.0.0#
    --Wiping cache...
    --Wiping cache...
    E:[PDP] status/c____/pdp_b__ : 0 - No PDP scenario
    Formatting / cache...
    Cache wipe complete.
    ""))

Hi, welcome to AC!

I never heard that message before "tune 2fs missing" actually is..and PDP failure(??)"

Try resetting chrome issue, by long press the app then tap info , then go storage clear it's Data and force stop it .
    12-29-2020 01:04 AM
    Reply to ((Mustang)) below suggestion:
    Sorry ,The suggestion below is not valid..because, all the description of the problem and the actions have shown no amount of data clearing and resets have removed the "tune 2 from missing" problem..

The actual problem message in full is as typed below:

1. Once the wipe cache is done all cache is cleared...so clearing Chrome data etc woukd have been cleared..so suggestion is not valid

2. And as mentioned not once but twice the OS or standard samsung S10+, upgraded ROM has been re installed at Samsung tech site( or factory standard)..so Chrome and every standard app in the phone is reinstalled and thus no data etc would remain...so the suggestion, to clear chrome data.. is not looking at the major part of the problem which is the error message. The error maybe causing a problem.. unknown..unseen..as the same error, which can be googled as "tune2fs missing" cited by users will show up many times...and I am sure the basic problem solving like clearing cache etc have been done by these users..

The full typed error message as seen at recovery screen is as follows:
    ""((
    E:[libfs_mgr]Unable to disable quotas on /dev/block/platform/13d60000.ufs/by-nam
    e/userdata because /system/bin/tune2fs is missing
    Supported API: 3
    # MANUAL MODE v1.0.0#
    --Wiping cache...
    --Wiping cache...
    E:[PDP] status/c____/pdp_b__ : 0 - No PDP scenario
    Formatting / cache...
    Cache wipe complete.
    ""))
    Clearing cache in recovery doesn't clear data or cache in apps , cleans system files .

Doing factory reset ,flashing the firmware as many times you like won't do nothing once the Google app gets used it creates new data and cache so might be a bug , you can try Uninstall the update and see if its ok , when I mentioned clear its app data and force its because I wanted make sure nothing that its currently collecting cause issues.

You need to be a dev and very good one to understand what recovery message is saying. Most likely even the Samsung repair center techs won't know it would have to go off to a Samsung engineer. So if just the issue with Google app I would ignore what you seeing in recovery message and concentrate on the app itself.
    12-29-2020 01:23 AM
    In reply to Mustang, below:
    Clearing individual app cache had also been done. Now the issue is not only related to lag or hanging of Chrome, as mentioned there maybe other issues not known.
    Simply there must be an explanation for the error message, its meaning and its implications. Samsung service centre citing no further help is recorded in their protocol...nothing there implies the Engineer has Irnham not been notified except that it occurs in other models of Samsung as well. So its an existing problem and not solved...Samsung is aware of this problem and has not addressed this in one more subsequent update...maybe this ROM is soon to be retired (Samsung S10+)..and thus not worth the problem to be looked into as far as Samsung is concerned as no major disruption is being made for current use. Also it may be a hardware problem that simply cannot be solved by way of updates.

Unlike in the past no " DOWNGRADING" to a lower version is recommended in newer Samsung ROMs. Infact in some, scenarios.. it's outright impossible...but can cause other problems..in partitioning specifics....one can boldly try with Odin software..but I find its not necessary as the same process has been done at the Service centre without any results in preventing the same error message in recovery...Yes at this point no observable major problems can be seen, at this time...but some times certain problems occur that cannot be attributed to any reason and tgusvone wonders if this is causing the problem....e.g audio does not get recorded in some apps that allow recording..but again it may be app rather than the problem message.
    Only interpreting the message by a SW , Linux expert in Android can explain what 1. TUNE2FS missing is and 2. What is the related message w.r.t the PDP message below the original error. It looks like a read /write problem on to the disk...but again everyone in online world seems clueless!!!
    Any Android expert can add some clear explanation please that is not the usual as seen in may Google platforms.

Clearing cache in recovery doesn't clear data or cache in apps , cleans system files .

Doing factory reset ,flashing the firmware as many times you like won't do nothing once the Google app gets used it creates new data and cache so might be a bug , you can try Uninstall the update and see if its ok , when I mentioned clear its app data and force its because I wanted make sure nothing that its currently collecting cause issues.

You need to be a dev and very good one to understand what recovery message is saying. Most likely even the Samsung repair center techs won't know it would have to go off to a Samsung engineer. So if just the issue with Google app I would ignore what you seeing in recovery message and concentrate on the app itself.
    12-29-2020 02:29 AM
    In reply to Mustang, below:
    Clearing individual app cache had also been done. Now the issue is not only related to lag or hanging of Chrome, as mentioned there maybe other issues not known.
    Simply there must be an explanation for the error message, its meaning and its implications. Samsung service centre citing no further help is recorded in their protocol...nothing there implies the Engineer has Irnham not been notified except that it occurs in other models of Samsung as well. So its an existing problem and not solved...Samsung is aware of this problem and has not addressed this in one more subsequent update...maybe this ROM is soon to be retired (Samsung S10+)..and thus not worth the problem to be looked into as far as Samsung is concerned as no major disruption is being made for current use. Also it may be a hardware problem that simply cannot be solved by way of updates.

Unlike in the past no " DOWNGRADING" to a lower version is recommended in newer Samsung ROMs. Infact in some, scenarios.. it's outright impossible...but can cause other problems..in partitioning specifics....one can boldly try with Odin software..but I find its not necessary as the same process has been done at the Service centre without any results in preventing the same error message in recovery...Yes at this point no observable major problems can be seen, at this time...but some times certain problems occur that cannot be attributed to any reason and tgusvone wonders if this is causing the problem....e.g audio does not get recorded in some apps that allow recording..but again it may be app rather than the problem message.
    Only interpreting the message by a SW , Linux expert in Android can explain what 1. TUNE2FS missing is and 2. What is the related message w.r.t the PDP message below the original error. It looks like a read /write problem on to the disk...but again everyone in online world seems clueless!!!
    Any Android expert can add some clear explanation please that is not the usual as seen in may Google platforms.
    Like I mentioned, try Uninstall the update to Google Chrome see if the issue still there? Apps can get bugs or coded wrong in updates . What your seeing in recovery will only make you go in circles, try stick with issues that arise and not get ahead . So far your main issue with Chrome so let's try see why , Uninstall the update to it the way I mentioned earlier and see if its ok or wait on a update. If your experiencing more issues then please explain further but for now try the Chrome rollback like I mentioned.
    12-29-2020 06:14 PM
    Reflash the stock firmware
    Hello mine is the same withe mike oz but the reboot recovery cause is unknown
    01-08-2021 01:10 AM