How to recover files from SD card of dead (android) phone?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

My phone got stomped and I'd like to recover some data from the apps for my new phone. Bookmarks on maps.me and my anki flashcard deck, particularly.
When I stick the SD card in my PC or two other android phones, it's pretty much unrecognizable to them all.
Is there anything on android or PC that can help me make what's there visible and extract it?
Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Was the card encrypted by the phone? Was it formatted as Internal Storage? If it was encrypted, then you won't be able to read any of the data anywhere else, since the encryption key was on the phone that encrypted it, and nowhere else.

sirensynapse

Aug 11, 2020
Visit site
Hi, just made an account. The card was in a moto phone, unencrypted. I used to be able to see data on it, when it was plugged into the PC. Now, the PC recognizes it in diskmanagement only, but it's not assigned a drive #, nor can I get it to assign one. So basically, on the explorer level, it's invisible still.

sirensynapse

Aug 11, 2020
Visit site
I think because of the encryption, I'm screwed. One last question then: how does samsung handle an sd card then, if not doing the adoption thing? Just thinking ahead to keep precious stuff safe in future. :)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I think because of the encryption, I'm screwed. One last question then: how does samsung handle an sd card then, if not doing the adoption thing? Just thinking ahead to keep precious stuff safe in future. :)
They do as portable storage now , and for good reason as sd card doesn't have fast write speeds as internal storage, they become corrupt and cause performance, freezes and whole bunch of issues.