Why a refurbished phone??

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi, I bought a pixel 3a less than 8 wks ago, and the top speaker went faulty, so I've sent the phone back to Google, who is now sending me a refurbished phone as a replacement, does anyone know why I don't get a brand new one, as obviously it will still be under the guarantee?? Don't think I'm happy with this, has anyone else had this happen to them??

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
The warranty allows for replacement with a refurbished device. Check ANY manufacturer warranty and it will include that. If you were within the first month you might have a complaint.
Here's a link to the warranty - https://support.google.com/store/an...ants that a new,its original packaging by you.
Here's the pertinent section -
What will Google do? (THIS IS YOUR EXCLUSIVE REMEDY) If a defect covered by this Limited Warranty arises and you return your Google Product during the Limited Warranty period (which is one year for new Google Products and ninety days for refurbished Google products), Google will in its sole discretion and to the extent permitted by law repair your Google Product using new or refurbished parts, replace your Google Product with a new or refurbished Google Product functionally at least equivalent to yours, or accept the return of your Google Product in exchange for a refund of the purchase price you paid for your Google Product. If Google repairs or replaces your Google Product, the repaired or replaced Google Product will continue to be warranted for the remaining time of the original warranty period.

I see this A LOT, both here and on a Facebook group. I guess people don't read their warranty information?

Consider this - Google replaces every device that fails while under warranty coverage with a brand new device, where does that returned device go? Can you imagine the costs of devices if this were the case? Can you imagine the environmental impact? It makes absolute sense for replacement devices to be refurbished. I had my Pixel 2 XL replaced in November, the (refurbished) replacement has been working perfectly since.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This is standard practice for all manufacturers, and even third party extended warranty programs. If you were still within your return period, you could do that and then make an entirely new purchase. Refurbish roulette sucks, but nothing you can really do about it at this point.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You already had a faulty phone, so clearly a new phone is no guarantee that there will be 0% chance of defects. I've found refurbished devices to be absolutely fine. They're still under the same warranty, so if things act up, then make another claim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12