Does an icon without link html work ?

andreaalvise

Aug 8, 2020
Visit site
Are you talking about an app shortcut icon on the homescreen? Why would it have an html link?

@B.Diddy i'm talking about,for example an icon of an Instagram post(for example,the like icon or the share icon). If you put the mouse on the icon,there is an underlying html,but if you put the mouse on it and the link html doesn't appears,it means that there is no a link html associated with the icon,and in this way does the icon works or not ?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you connecting a mouse to your phone, or are you using something like an Android TV box? Is this in the Instagram app or the website? I'm not sure why there'd be an html link associated with a button within an app, but I'm not an app developer, so maybe I don't completely understand how those buttons work.

andreaalvise

Aug 8, 2020
Visit site
Are you connecting a mouse to your phone, or are you using something like an Android TV box? Is this in the Instagram app or the website? I'm not sure why there'd be an html link associated with a button within an app, but I'm not an app developer, so maybe I don't completely understand how those buttons work.

I'm talking about Instagram website,or usually when you find an Instagram post in an article of a site (for example,if there is an Instagram video).
But the question is simpler:if an icon isn't connected to a link html,does it work ?

andreaalvise

Aug 8, 2020
Visit site
If you don't see an obvious link, then try right-clicking the icon and see if there's an option to Copy Link Address.

I try to make my question clearer:I attach a photo taken from the web as example,but the situation is the same). You can see under the post(images,videos...)many icons,such as like icon(heart),share icon... if you put the mouse pointer on the like icon an underlying html appears,so an input occurs,same situation with the comments icon,but if you put the pointer on the share icon(third from the left) nothing appears,there is no a link html associated.

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/players/eric-dier-dele-alli-bromance-18652239

You can make a practical test:this is an article about football,scroll down the page and there is an Instagram video. If you put the mouse pointer on the like icon,comments icon and on the bookmark icon,an underlying html appears and it may be an input,if you put the pointer on the share icon,a link html doesn't appear.
My question is:if there is no a link html associated with that icon,does the icon work or not ? is there an input or not ? Has the icon a function or not ?

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 18

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
The video is simply a visual representation of what the person presenting/demonstrating is seeing but icons seen in apps on that video are not actionable on your device.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
If you are seeing this on IG, the thing you call an icon may be just an emoji or pic.
If there is a http link that appears as you hover above with your mouse, it should direct you to it if tapped or clicked( selected by any method).
Good luck
Edit:Just saw @hallux post, and agree

andreaalvise

Aug 8, 2020
Visit site
The video is simply a visual representation of what the person presenting/demonstrating is seeing but icons seen in apps on that video are not actionable on your device.

I have the impression of being misunderstood.my advice is to do a practical test(i attached a link,the site is secure),control the link html of the icons,click on the icons and then write an answer

andreaalvise

Aug 8, 2020
Visit site

Yeah,I understood
If i click,for example the like icon I am redirected to instagram, where I can perform the function. But this is possible because the like icon has a link html associated and because of this it works.
The share icon,if you make the test,doesn't have it,so that icon works or not ? Has it effect or not ?

andreaalvise

Aug 8, 2020
Visit site
From what you say, it's a picture. Pictures are downloaded. Anything downloaded 'could be' malicious, but unlikely.

Yeah,you can make the test with the link attached to understand better,please
I know that the icon without html is the share icon,but if it hasn't a link is it harmless and you can't share,correct ?
But repeat,it's better make a practical test to understand better,it takes just 1 minutes,analyzing if there is the underlying html and then you can understand better than explain the situation with every post

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Yeah,you can make the test with the link attached to understand better,please
I know that the icon without html is the share icon,but if it hasn't a link is it harmless and you can't share,correct ?
But repeat,it's better make a practical test to understand better,it takes just 1 minutes,analyzing if there is the underlying html and then you can understand better than explain the situation with every post
I will not be clicking on any links you post, as I can't sandbox it currently.