Which is the best way to reset a phone?

JKesha

Aug 31, 2020
Visit site
Is it the factory data reset in backup and reset settings or the one where you hold down the power and volume down button? I'm not sure about this.

And are there any tips before I proceed on resetting my phone?

Is it ideal to bypass frp? Someone told me it takes about 3 days to finish if you proceed the normal way. True?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
They're identical.

Just make sure you back up or sync any of your important data. In the Backup & Reset system menu, make sure your Google backup is turned on as well.

We don't allow discussions on bypassing Factory Reset Protection or any other security measure.

JKesha

Aug 31, 2020
Visit site
They're identical.

Just make sure you back up or sync any of your important data. In the Backup & Reset system menu, make sure your Google backup is turned on as well.

We don't allow discussions on bypassing Factory Reset Protection or any other security measure.

Thank you. My backup is turned on but the backup account is grayed out. This is actually the reason why I decided to reset.

I can't find the google tab in the account & sync. And I couldn't open google play. When I open gmail it just says, google services is currently updating. Android central has actually been a big help. I posted a problem that leads me to do a factory reset. This is my first time doing this on my phone so I'm a lot nervous.

JKesha

Aug 31, 2020
Visit site
If you know the Google account details it won't matter about frp as you just input the details after the reset.

Is it still safe to reset even if the backup account is grayed out? It also says 'no account is currently storing backed up data.' Though the backup is turned on.

Before the google tab disappeared from accounts & sync, I was able to sync all my data on my google account. Is that alright? Can I safely proceed to resetting my phone? Now that it's grayed out, I'm having doubts.

JKesha

Aug 31, 2020
Visit site
The backup account is grayed out. Is it safe to reset my phone despite this? Can my data be recovered? I was able to sync my data on my google account before it disappeared. So can I still reset safely?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've been following your other thread peripherally: https://forums.androidcentral.com/a...lay-store-after-updating-google-services.html. I can't be sure about when the last valid backup was, but presumably your account was backing up at least until you cleared Google Services Framework, so if it hasn't been too long, I suspect your backed up data will restore for the most part.

What data are you most concerned about? The data that backs up to your Google account is usually information like account and settings information. More important data like your email, photos, etc. will typically be synced independently by that particular app. The main thing I can think of that you might want that aren't synced up anywhere else are your SMS messages -- if you're concerned about those, you could use an app like SMS Backup & Restore to be safe.

JKesha

Aug 31, 2020
Visit site
I've been following your other thread peripherally: https://forums.androidcentral.com/a...lay-store-after-updating-google-services.html. I can't be sure about when the last valid backup was, but presumably your account was backing up at least until you cleared Google Services Framework, so if it hasn't been too long, I suspect your backed up data will restore for the most part.

What data are you most concerned about? The data that backs up to your Google account is usually information like account and settings information. More important data like your email, photos, etc. will typically be synced independently by that particular app. The main thing I can think of that you might want that aren't synced up anywhere else are your SMS messages -- if you're concerned about those, you could use an app like SMS Backup & Restore to be safe.

Thank you for the response. I think I'll be okay with not recovering the sms. I couldn't open the app you posted because my play store just closes whenever I click on it.

My email and photos are important though, as well as the details on apps which required my google account. Like google keep, evernote, youtube downloads and the like. Can those be recovered?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Email should be on the email provider's server -- which email provider do you use? The email should sync back after you do a factory reset and add the email account back to the email app.

If you had Google Photos backup turned on, you can go to photos.google.com on your computer browser to confirm that all of your photos are there. If not, then you can simply connect the phone to your computer via PC, swipe down the notification panel and tap the USB notification icon to make sure MTP/File Transfer is selected, and drag and drop photos from the /DCIM/Camera directory on the phone to the computer's hard drive using Windows File Explorer.

Apps like Google Keep and YouTube should keep everything synced in the cloud -- just as above, you can go to the respective websites on your computer to make sure that information is there. Evernote should also be syncing automatically to their servers, so check the Evernote site.

JKesha

Aug 31, 2020
Visit site
Email should be on the email provider's server -- which email provider do you use? The email should sync back after you do a factory reset and add the email account back to the email app.

If you had Google Photos backup turned on, you can go to photos.google.com on your computer browser to confirm that all of your photos are there. If not, then you can simply connect the phone to your computer via PC, swipe down the notification panel and tap the USB notification icon to make sure MTP/File Transfer is selected, and drag and drop photos from the /DCIM/Camera directory on the phone to the computer's hard drive using Windows File Explorer.

Apps like Google Keep and YouTube should keep everything synced in the cloud -- just as above, you can go to the respective websites on your computer to make sure that information is there. Evernote should also be syncing automatically to their servers, so check the Evernote site.

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain this. It really meant a lot. I hope the reset can solve the issue. Fingers crossed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513