4a Mobile Network Connectivity and Voice Calls Over WiFi

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

My mobile network (Fi) at home is basically lousy. At times the voice quality of calls was iffy and data speeds quite slow. But on my previous phones (Nexus 5X and Moto G7) they always defaulted to my 60 mbps WiFi for data and calling when at home. After getting my new Pixel 4a set up it appeared to be finding a mobile network (Tmobile/Sprint) normally going immediately to WiFi. After about 10 days, however, that stopped. Now when I try to make a call I get "Mobile Network Not Available". I can not make or receive calls until I put in the repair diaIer code and force it to Google Fi. At times even that doesn't work. I have an open case with Fi support but so far a lot of tests and bug reports but no solution. So I have a new 4a mobile phone that doesn't function as a phone at home on either mobile or WiFi. Using mobile data is impossible too, although sending texts works perfectly. Away from home, no problems. Anyone have a similar problem or any thoughts on what might be causing this? I don't want to return the 4a, but I may have no choice.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Have you verified WiFi calling is turned on? They finally updated the phone settings to make this easier. In your phone app tap the 3 vertical dots in the top right and select settings, then select calls and then WiFi calling. Make sure this is on. I believe the WiFi calling item is called IMS in previous versions.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

DJAZ

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
Thanks. I had already tried both suggestions above. The only thing that works, temporary at best, is to reboot the device, use the Android repair code and it will work for an hour or two. Sometimes not at all.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
With a eSim does it create a APN like sim card where you can mess around with settings or not available?

Because of the network switching that's a little more difficult. There is no way to manage APN for a Fi SIM, not that I can see anyway. The phone manages it automatically so that it can switch between towers of different carriers.

DJAZ

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
It may be coincidental, but these problems seemed to start on my previous phone, a Moto G7, about the time the Sprint/Tmobile merger was official. Fi switches between Sprint and Tmobile in my area. I realize they did not combine their CDMA and GSM networks, but wonder if this could have had an effect. Fi support suggested trying the Pixel 4a to see if it would work better than G7. For a few days it did, not now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad