Transition from Google Photos to new App - with metadata!

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Trying to transfer all my google photos to dropbox and use a different secure app (preferably on that can sync directly with my dropbox photos folder) .

I've grabbed all my photos via a Google Takeout dump, so now I have a few hundred folders each with a jpg and json file. I'm using the Piktures app, but my photos are a mess.

Is there anyway, be it a different app, or something I can do with the google photos dump to allow the app to organize all these photos automatically via the metadata?

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
What kind of organizing are you looking to do?

I am a big fan of Piktures, but I have never used a "google takeout dump".

My first guess at a problem is that the dump from google does not contain any "albums" or related folders since Google Photos does not store them in the first place.

4x4fiend

Sep 29, 2020
Visit site
Thanks (original poster here)
I don't need much functionality in terms of albums, just dating of photos so they're chronological ad much as possible.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Samsung S10e snapdragon at the moment.

Just thinking out loud, I wonder if it's something I organize on my desktop, then migrate back to dropbox/Piktures... rather than trying to have the photos app handle it
You can do that , on my Note 20U I use google photos and Samsung gallery , if I need to see pictures on the computer I just log into google on the computer