Has anybody done this and its worked well
    10-03-2020 09:24 AM
    Which dash cam you looking at ?

I'll leave a Link to register so you can communicate here as a guest account you can only post questions but can't reply

https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=409154
    10-03-2020 09:26 AM
    The biggest issue you'll run into is the file size. Android records to file systems that limit file size and so recordings using the standard camera app will be limited in length. You'd need to find an app that will constantly restart recording, and will "loop" said recording, deleting old files as space is needed. Plus, a feature of dash cams is adding time, date and (sometimes) speed stamps to the video so you might want to find an app for this feature as well.

You might just be better off finding a dedicated device, they're not really that expensive.
    ManiacJoe likes this.
    10-03-2020 09:56 AM
    The biggest issue you'll run into is the file size. Android records to file systems that limit file size and so recordings using the standard camera app will be limited in length. You'd need to find an app that will constantly restart recording, and will "loop" said recording, deleting old files as space is needed. Plus, a feature of dash cams is adding time, date and (sometimes) speed stamps to the video so you might want to find an app for this feature as well.

You might just be better off finding a dedicated device, they're not really that expensive.
    You might be right , have a dedicated device.
    10-03-2020 10:23 AM

They make dash cam apps that have all those features, and an old phone you have lying around would work fine. Even a defective used phone you buy for pennies could work if it's something like a broken cell radio that doesn't affect camera use.

To the original question of can phones work in the dark, I guess that depends on what you consider acceptable. If you are asking if they can record in infrared at night, then no. They can only record standard video. If you have one with manual controls and can lower the frame rate, that will help with low light recording, but with increased motion blurring.

If you want something that can record infrared, then you'll want a dedicated dash cam with IR emitters (usually looks like a ring of LED's around the camera lens).
    mustang7757 likes this.
    10-03-2020 10:41 AM
    The phone will work as well as a dash cam at night as it works as a camera at night - if it can see things at night, under streetlight conditions, it will, whether used as a camera or a dash cam. (I have dash cams and I've tried dash cam apps, and specifically checked that situation.)

As far as file size, most apps can be set to roll over at a specific amount of recording. If it's recorded more than the set size, it will delete the oldest recording before starting a new one. The same thing dash cams do.

(Dash cams with IR emitters work to pick up the plate of the car you're stopped behind, kinda-sorta, but they don't illuminate a dark country road - your headlights do that.)
    10-03-2020 11:39 AM