Can I switch to use as internal storage on a memory card after I formatted it for regular use

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

If I format my memory card to be used as a portable device can I switch to use as internal storage. I know it can't go the other way that once it's used as internal storage it has to stay that way

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You can reformat it either way, but formatting wipes the card, so if there's anything on it that you need, back it up first. And if you moved any apps to the card, move them back to the phone before reformatting the card - or you'll have to do a factory reset. (Going from internal back to portable will almost always require a factory reset, because some apps may have some parts written to the card - which you'd be wiping when you switched. [And if a part of an app is missing there's no way to recover from the situation.])

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You've probably heard this before, but we generally discourage formatting SD cards as Internal Storage. Apps installed to the card will run more slowly, and SD cards are inherently less reliable than onboard storage -- so if/when the card fails, the system will crash (and you'll probably lose some important data).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy