Why my phone is killing my background apps? (Xiaomi mi a2 lite, android 10/one)

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Honestly I don't know what to do, I did everything I could and this problem keeps happening, I took out the adaptive battery, in battery setting i put to not optimize most apps, even uninstalled Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and even then the phone keeps restarting the apps I leave in the background, the more I use the phone, the more aggressive it gets, to the point where I go to answer someone on WhatsApp and when I go back to the app it restarts and I lose what I was doing. Does anyone have any solution? I have the latest update of android 10 and the apps are also up to date. And usually i have 1,8gb of ram free, so, its not like my phone needs to restart my apps, right?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Android kills most background apps if it needs the RAM space, regardless of what you tell it. You're just telling it your preferences, not an absolute prohibition. (If it couldn't kill any app, and it ran out of RAM, it couldn't even notify you that it needed to kill an app.)

That's not a problem, though. If you "go back to the app" by using Recents (swipe up on the Home button), the app should start where it left off. If it restarts that way, it's just not developed properly. (My banking app does that - if I go to my password safe, the banking app starts over. But it's the only one my bank uses, and they won't fix it, so I have no choice but to use it.)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Some manufacturers are much more aggressive than others when it comes to killing background apps -- typically as a way to try to extend battery life. Chinese manufacturers tend to do this a lot. See this site: https://dontkillmyapp.com/

Interestingly, they do say that Xiaomi's Android One phones aren't as problematic, but they don't say if they're on par with Pixel phones.

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Honestly I don't know what to do, I did everything I could and this problem keeps happening, I took out the adaptive battery, in battery setting i put to not optimize most apps, even uninstalled Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and even then the phone keeps restarting the apps I leave in the background, the more I use the phone, the more aggressive it gets, to the point where I go to answer someone on WhatsApp and when I go back to the app it restarts and I lose what I was doing. Does anyone have any solution? I have the latest update of android 10 and the apps are also up to date. And usually i have 1,8gb of ram free, so, its not like my phone needs to restart my apps, right?
How much ram the phone comes with ?

Jaja Radical

Oct 8, 2020
Visit site
That's not a problem, though. If you "go back to the app" by using Recents (swipe up on the Home button), the app should start where it left off. If it restarts that way, it's just not developed properly.

I (obviously) use the recent apps thing, and i know its a problem with the phone tho. This happens with EVERY app after i use the phone for more than 16 hours, it makes the phone "unusable" after some point, bc the phone simply dont have a multitask option. Im gonna paste a coment that i made in a reddit post that i made a while ago, i hope that you can understand the problem, and thanks for responding.

"I think i "found" what is forcing the apps to restart (but i dont now how to fix it), if you activate the developer options, go to running services, then click on the 3 dots in the upper right and click on "show cached processes" you'll see the problem too. If you use the phone for more than 15 or 20 hours and follow the steps, you'll see something like this [https://ibb.co/WzKZ4fR] (maybe other Google apps, but thats not the point), BUT, after you restart the phone and keep some apps open you'll probably see this [https://ibb.co/9rzWfPK]. The problem is, after some hours of use, the phone starts to kill the cached apps for some odd reason that i cant explain. Im sorry that i cant help, but i think i need to share that."

Jaja Radical

Oct 8, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Some manufacturers are much more aggressive than others when it comes to killing background apps -- typically as a way to try to extend battery life. Chinese manufacturers tend to do this a lot. See this site: https://dontkillmyapp.com/

I discovered the problem (almost 100% sure), but not how i can solve it, its pretty infuriating to know the problem, but you cant resolve it. I replied the thread explaining the problem minutes ago, if you you have some time (and if you want of course), i would like you to read please.

Jaja Radical

Oct 8, 2020
Visit site
4 GB ram might not be enough for what your doing , but you can try lock certain apps to recent app list see if they stay in memory.

I dont think thats case, because after i restart the phone, i can keep 6 or 7 apps open at the same time, but after 20 hours (sometimes even less) the phone cannot keep 2 simple apps open at the same time. Plus, im not e "heavy user" tho, i only use the phone for basic things, like Facebook, whatsapp, telegram, Instagram, YouTube, reddit, chrome or a anime app from my country, i think 4gb of ram is enough to keep at least 3 of these apps open at the same time

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I dont think thats case, because after i restart the phone, i can keep 6 or 7 apps open at the same time, but after 20 hours (sometimes even less) the phone cannot keep 2 simple apps open at the same time. Plus, im not e "heavy user" tho, i only use the phone for basic things, like Facebook, whatsapp, telegram, Instagram, YouTube, reddit, chrome or a anime app from my country, i think 4gb of ram is enough to keep at least 3 of these apps open at the same time
I agree it shouldn't give issue for keeping at least 3 apps in memory, possible this phone handles ram management more aggressively, thats why i mention can lock certain apps in recent apps from it clearing out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000