Why does the Q input on the keyboard include the space left of the A key?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I've noticed recently that I end up adding a Q more often than not while meaning to type the letter A on my phone's keyboard. After looking into it a little bit, I realized that for some reason, the blank space to the left of the letter A counts as Q input.

Am I the only one having this problem? I've been a samsung galaxy user for years (started with an s6), and have never had this problem before.

Is there anyway to get it so that space counts as an A instead of a Q? I've already tried installing/using different keyboards. I'm currently using a Note10+.

Rhys R

Jan 1, 2022
Visit site
Sorry to revive this post, but I am experiencing the same issue as OP describes and can replicate it 100% of the time on my Galaxy S20.

On the android keyboard, the little gap left of the a key registered as q when pressed if it is the first letter of a word (for instance, tap the space left of a when typing "apple" will result in "qpple").

What's interesting is that in words where "a" is not the first letter, the space will (imo correctly) register as "a". So if I hit the gap left of "a" when I type "rabbit" it will correctly type "rabbit".

It's baffling to me that the gap left of the A key will alternate like this. I'm tired of qccidentally typing qwkward sentences like this qnd having to fix them because the qndroid keyboard doesn't know how to properly qddress the gap. The same issue doesn't occur for the gap right of L.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220101-151125_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220101-151125_Chrome.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 5

Julian Thoms

Jan 13, 2022
Visit site
I experience the same issue as the writer above. It happens only with this keyboard. And only when it's the first letter of a word. The space next to the a counts as a q.
Attached a picture of the issue with the click location and q being highlighted.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220113-123639_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220113-123639_Chrome.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 4

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Sorry to revive this post, but I am experiencing the same issue as OP describes and can replicate it 100% of the time on my Galaxy S20.

On the android keyboard, the little gap left of the a key registered as q when pressed if it is the first letter of a word (for instance, tap the space left of a when typing "apple" will result in "qpple").

What's interesting is that in words where "a" is not the first letter, the space will (imo correctly) register as "a". So if I hit the gap left of "a" when I type "rabbit" it will correctly type "rabbit".

It's baffling to me that the gap left of the A key will alternate like this. I'm tired of qccidentally typing qwkward sentences like this qnd having to fix them because the qndroid keyboard doesn't know how to properly qddress the gap. The same issue doesn't occur for the gap right of L.
Thats default on Samsung keyboard, you can try a different setting in they keyboard like Azerty
Just tap language and different layout or another keyboard like Google or swiftkey Screenshot_20220115-134525_Samsung%20Keyboard.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, this is Samsung keyboard, and this problem has become very pronounced over the last month. This is a widespread issue

Welcome to Android Central! The best thing to do right now would be to send feedback to Samsung (either from the Samsung Keyboard settings menu or the Samsung Members app), and perhaps use a different keyboard app for the time being.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21