How to get Samsung Galaxy S10 email to access imap folders

Joe K Blow

Oct 11, 2020
Visit site
I bought a Samsung Galaxy S10 in early August and used Smart Switch to upgrade things from my S7 to my S10.

On my S7, I can see all of my folders on our company imap email server - and there are hundreds of them - but I've only been able to see about 10 on my S10.

I decided to get serious about resolving this problem so, yesterday, installed the BlueMail email system and, in there, could see all of my imap folders.

I then removed my email account from the native samsung email app and then created it again and only the same ~10 folders showed up.

I just went onto Samsung support and chatted with somebody who then had a look at my phone under remote control. This person tried to tell me that I needed to create all of my folders individually on my S10 using the samsung email.

This was ridiculous and I tried to show this person how I didn't need to do this with BlueMail but they they said I needed to contact BlueMail support.

They also said I should take my phone to a Samsung service center.

Does anybody know how to fix this problem>

Joe K Blow

Oct 11, 2020
Visit site
Thanks B Diddy. I double checked and my imap server settings are consistent between my S7 native email, S10 native email and S10 BlueMail. Usually, if they aren't correct, you can't even send and receive emails and I haven't been having any problem with that in S10 native email but, unlike with my S7 native email and S10 BlueMail, can't see all of my imap folders.

I removed my account again in my S10 native email and will try re-installing it again tomorrow. I'm not sure that makes any sense but who knows.

I would seriously consider just now using BlueMail and dumping the S10 native email but when I tried attaching pictures to outgoing BlueMail emails, the picture quality on the receiving end of these emails wasn't nearly as good as when they are sent from the S10 native email.

Joe K Blow

Oct 11, 2020
Visit site
Email folders to sync:
Inbox: on
Other folders: not on

It says here though: Emails will appear in your inbox as soon as they're received. Other folders will be synced every 15 minutes.

This is how it is set on both my S7 and my S10.

On my S7 though, I see the hundreds of folders and sub-folders with "not on" beside them while on my S10, I only see the ~10 folders.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does anything different happen if you turn on the toggle for Other Folders? There's always a possibility that they modified something in the Samsung Email app for this current phone, compared to an older phone's version.

Joe K Blow

Oct 11, 2020
Visit site
I'm not sure what happens differently when I toggle on any one of the other folders but, like I said, there are only ~10 of these on the S10 but hundreds of them on the S7 so I'd be wanting to toggle on hundreds of them on the S10 if they were actually showing.

There doesn't seem to be an option to toggle them all on so you'd have to go through hundreds of them and toggle them all on individually.

I should maybe mention that the ~10 folders that do show up on my S10 aren't ones that I currently use very much. I have no idea why it decided to only show those 10 and not the rest.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There doesn't seem to be an option to toggle them all on so you'd have to go through hundreds of them and toggle them all on individually.

Oh, I thought it was just a single "Other Folders" toggle.:-\

Ok, let's try this from a different angle. Try clearing the app cache for the Email app in Settings>Apps. If that doesn't help, then also try wiping the system cache partition: https://www.t-mobile.com/support/de...y-s10/wipe-cache-partition-samsung-galaxy-s10

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
If you want to use a third party email I would recommend using Spark. It is free and easy to use. I think you will have less issues than with Bluemail.

Joe K Blow

Oct 11, 2020
Visit site
That was a good idea to clear the email app cache but it didn't fix my problem. I mentioned that I had removed my email account from the S10 native email last night and, before I added it back, I did what you suggested. It seemed odd to me that I could go in there and do that without my account added back but I suppose the "app" is separate from any "accounts" within.

When it didn't change anything, I tried clearing the cache again after I had added back my account but nothing changed.

Joe K Blow

Oct 11, 2020
Visit site
I mentioned before that there were ~10 folders out of the hundreds in my account showing up. These were folders called: Inbox, Drafts, Sent, postponed-msgs which all seem to be required folders in our imap system. There were also 9 other folders which I'm going to refer to as folder1-folder9 and these just seemed, from my point of view, to be a random handful of the hundreds of folders and sub-folders that I have.

So, using the Linux email client Alpine that we use at our office, I created a new folder called "00s10" and then created new folders under there with the same names as the folder1-folder9 folders and I copied all emails from the older folders to these new ones and deleted the old folders.

I was doing this because I was thinking of trying to "clear data" for the S10 native email app now that "clear cache" hadn't worked.

What I wasn't expecting though is that, after having done this, the 00s10 folder was now showing up in my folder list on the S10 and all of the sub-folders folder1-folder9 were showing up under their with the associated emails in same.

That kind of threw a wrench into my works as far as trying to "clear data" as I don't want to clear the contents of whatever folders my S10 happens to see.

I found it interesting though because, aside from simply not showing hundreds of my folders, my S10 email seems to be seeing any new folders or sub-folders I create through Alpine.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Scratching my head here -- it sounds like it's something to do with how Samsung coded their Email app. The Email app is fully up to date, either in the Play Store or the Galaxy Apps Store, right?

Joe K Blow

Oct 11, 2020
Visit site
I left out one thing with my summary of the folders that were showing on my S10 - note, whenever I just refer to it this way, I am meaning in my "S1 native email app" so as not to get it confused with BlueMail on my S10.

What I left out is that there was another folder showing up called "f". Many years back, I used this as a main folder for storing emails with family members and there are many sub-folders under that main folder "f".

Yet, on my S10, there was only a main folder "f" but no sub-folders showing.

I'd come to realize over time that "f" wasn't a very good name for this main folder so, using Alpine under Liinux, I just renamed it to "fam" instead.

After I did that, "fam" was now showing up on my S10 but it now is showing all of the sub-folders under there.

Sorry, I know I am digressing but it seems like, in many ways, my S10 email is working well in terms of quickly seeing changes that I am making to my email folders (adding new ones and renaming this one) so I am more determined to figure out what the problem is.

I think I am going to ask our tech guy to do some analysis of my email folders on our imap server to see if there are any broken links or anything that might be causing the problem.

Causing a problem with the S10 native email app only though as BlueMail seems OK and is also picking up these changes. I should point out that BlueMail now sees the fam folder and all of it's sub-folders but, previously, it has seen the "f" folder and all of it's sub-folders.

Joe K Blow

Oct 11, 2020
Visit site
> I found it interesting though because, aside from simply [now] showing hundreds of my folders, my S10 email seems to be seeing any new folders
> or sub-folders I create through Alpine.

Meant "not" showing ....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63