We have 2 A01 phones, one has a micro usb and one doesn't. Today I learned that the 'go in both way's' plug is a Type C yet my phone still has the other type that goes in only one way.

Learn something every day!

Thanks to all
    10-12-2020 12:34 PM
    What do you mean by polarized? The A01 has a microUSB port (not miniUSB), which means the plug can only be inserted one way. If you can insert the plug both ways, then the port is probably broken in some way.
    10-12-2020 12:58 PM
    B Diddy,
    The micro usb male charger plug is the same way, the phone was brand new out of the box and I was the one that caught the difference between the 'go in one way' or go in both ways.
    Nothing was ever forced and as I say the male charger plug is the same way not distorted in any fashion. Plus it will charge the phone no matter how it's inserted.

Dunno what else to say, I thought it was odd that the plug type was changed, that's why I asked.

Ah well

Tnx
    10-13-2020 11:56 AM
    It'd be interesting to see a close-up shot of that phone's USB port and the USB plug, if you have time.
    10-13-2020 11:58 AM
    10-13-2020 12:33 PM
    B Diddy,
    The micro usb male charger plug is the same way, the phone was brand new out of the box and I was the one that caught the difference between the 'go in one way' or go in both ways.
    Nothing was ever forced and as I say the male charger plug is the same way not distorted in any fashion. Plus it will charge the phone no matter how it's inserted.

Dunno what else to say, I thought it was odd that the plug type was changed, that's why I asked.

Ah well

Tnx
    Attached Thumbnails Galaxy A01 now uses Type C micro usb-img_1720.jpg   Galaxy A01 now uses Type C micro usb-img_1719.jpg   Galaxy A01 now uses Type C micro usb-img_1727.jpg   Galaxy A01 now uses Type C micro usb-img_1722.jpg  
    10-13-2020 12:36 PM
    B Diddy,

Please note that the charger cord {for the phone female} male end DOES NOT have the USB symbol on it. It's smooth on both sides since you can put it in both ways and it works.

the photos clearly show the plug is made that way. Why, I don't know. All my myriad of charger cords all have the USB symbol embossed on 'em.

Thnks 25544
    10-13-2020 12:39 PM
    B Diddy,

Ah well

Tnx
    That's USB-C. The latest iteration of the USB standard. Been around a few years and most devices have switched to it by now.

(Google it.)

It's meant to be reversible. No more fumbling around with making sure you have the connector the right way.

It was a response to Apple's Lightning connector (also reversible) introduced a couple years before USB-C.

"Polarity" is not a concern.
    10-13-2020 01:10 PM
    Quick follow-up.

Here's an image of the connector types. There's the standard type A that usually goes into the PC, and the various device side connectors. The USB Mini, Micro, and now C (which is first in the image).
    Galaxy A01 now uses Type C micro usb-usb-cable-connectors-types-set-images.jpeg
    10-13-2020 01:46 PM
    The odd thing is that the specs say microUSB: https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a01-9999.php. Unless they have a few variants, where one actually has USB-C.

EDIT: Verizon's page lists USB-C. http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/pho...m-a015vzkavzw/. So GSMArena is probably wrong.
    10-13-2020 02:59 PM
    Thanks B Diddy and joeldf.... and btw I know what polarized means, I just used it because i was in a hurry and at a loss for words at the time Not that bad an analogy really, if it was a 120VAC polarized plug you'd be hard pressed to plug it into a non-polarized female wall outlet...same as the USB Micro B.

Again thanks!
    10-13-2020 03:18 PM
    Samsung's own site, and Cnet's review do say USB-C.

But, there does appear to be several variants. The SM-A015A seems to be generally for North America and a specific Verizon SM-A015VZ version - both with the USB-C. 3 other variants for Global, Indian and Latin America is what GSMArena is listing as still having the microUSB. Although, they could simply be wrong.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-13-2020 03:20 PM
    Samsung's own site, and Cnet's review do say USB-C.

But, there does appear to be several variants. The SM-A015A seems to be generally for North America and a specific Verizon SM-A015VZ version - both with the USB-C. 3 other variants for Global, Indian and Latin America is what GSMArena is listing as still having the microUSB. Although, they could simply be wrong.
    I could see it going either way. It boggles my mind how a company can release different variants of the same model with significantly different hardware.
    10-13-2020 04:56 PM