Long story short, my father passed away and we are trying to unlock his phone to see if there is anything important, such as text messages.

We have his Google credentials, so we could unlock the phone if there was a password/username options, but I can't figure out how to get to an alternate option outside of the "knock code".

Is there a way to force a password option from the "tap your knock code below to unlock" screen?
    10-15-2020 04:50 PM
    Have you tried putting the knock code wrong multiple times see if it gives the option?

I'll leave a Link to register so you can communicate here as a guest account you can only post questions but can't reply

https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=409154
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-15-2020 05:33 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Our condolences. Unfortunately, if mustang7757's suggestion doesn't work, then I don't think you have any other option. You could try contacting LG and see if they have some kind of backdoor they can use for compassionate reasons.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-15-2020 06:33 PM
    Thanks for the link for registering. I have tried this, but I'm not sure how many times I need to enter the incorrect knock code for it to show up. I'm getting conflicting information on the various sites I've seen.

Any idea how many times I need to do this. Also, is there a point where the phone will automatically wipe the phone?
    10-15-2020 07:28 PM
    Thanks for the link for registering. I have tried this, but I'm not sure how many times I need to enter the incorrect knock code for it to show up. I'm getting conflicting information on the various sites I've seen.

Any idea how many times I need to do this. Also, is there a point where the phone will automatically wipe the phone?
    Hi, welcome to AC!

I'm not sure if it can wipe the device some manufacturer have this option , maybe try like 5 or 6 times . Which phone model is this exactly?
    10-15-2020 07:46 PM
    With LG, entering a lock screen password/pin/code wrong 10 times will automatically factory reset the phone. It gives you warnings before you get to that point, but I've never seen it have a fall back option unless it's using biometrics (in case the fingerprint sensor stops working). Unfortunately I think you are out of luck here. Even if you forced the factory reset, you will loose everything on the phone. At best, you may be able to recover some backups by logging into his Google account if you have his credentials, but you may still be blocked by 2 factor authentication. Even if you do get in, what's available would depend on what he was actively backing up to Google.
    mustang7757 and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-15-2020 07:54 PM
    Thanks for all the help, everyone. We've talked it over and looked through the Google account. We basically have recovered anything that we think is valuable except for the text messages. I think we're just going to let the phone go for now.
    mustang7757 and B. Diddy like this.
    10-15-2020 08:26 PM
    Depending on the carrier, you may be able to move the Sim card to a different phone, and let the carrier repopulate the text messages as you initiate it. Some providers go back up to 6 months. Good luck.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-16-2020 04:39 AM