Why does my wifi connection lose internet?

JT Peters

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Switched internet providers and am now on AT&T. My Galaxy S7 phone connects to the router but often says no internet. If I turn off wifi on the phone and then back on it usually does fine, at least for a while.

My other devices stay connected, expecially my wifi only tablet. It was working great until the new router. Any suggestions?

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Hi. Does your new router have both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands? Does it do smart switching? Many devices don't do well with those types of routers. You may need to go into the router control panel and set up each band with its own SSID, e.g. Netgear87 and Netgear87-5GHz Then connect your phone to one of the WiFi bands. It should be more stable.

Please register for an account so we can help you further. With a guest account, you can't reply. Thanks

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=409154

JT Peters

May 16, 2012
Visit site
OOPS, I spoke too soon. It still drops the internet. I've done the reset many, many times. I've had the phone forget my router and then find it again. That didn't work. Until I got the new AT&T router it worked. All my other devices work. I've even considered a factory reset but since this is an older phone I don't know how much I would have to download to get it back. Any other suggestions?

JT Peters

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Check under wifi >advanced > wifi control history
Anything there?

I had 3 apps listed one from 2019 and 2 from 2018, so I don't think they are the culprits. But the phone has been up (connected with internet) for over 4 hours this morning. Nothing done differently, my wife turns it off at night and charges it. I brought up several of her apps with no problem. Hopefully this issue solved itself somehow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2