Hi there and thank you in advance. I have been trying for a while now to come up with a good solution to keep my phone unlocked while at home. Especially these days, I hardly ever leave the house and it is much easier to keep it unlocked.

I like being able to use Google Assistant for a lot of things as well and keeping it unlocked helps. The first thing I tried was to use smart lock with location as that makes the most sense to me. However, it only works some of the time. I live in an apartment and the coverage area shown for the smart lock is much bigger but often I will have to unlock the device with my PIN.

Then I tried using Tasker to keep the phone unlocked while on wifi. This did not work great either. I also tried the same thing with a similar app called Automate. The main time that it seems to not work is when I wake up in the morning. I read that after the phone is idle for a certain amount of time, you will need to reauthenticate. However, I only have fingerprints and PIN active and those should (from what I understand) not be prompting so soon (Face recognition would).

It also seems to happen when I go to sleep. I will say "good night" and it is supposed to turn off all of the lights and tv and cast music to my Chromecast audio. Sometimes it works and sometimes I need to put in my PIN. Same thing in the morning. I will ask Google to turn on all the lights and it will say "Sure, but you need to unlock the device first". I read to try something called "Good Lock" which looks like a Samsung product but it appears to just do mainly visual customizations and not directly affect lock screen security. It is a minor gripe but it is so nice to be mostly asleep and to tell blindly in the dark for Google to make things happen and it seems like it would be easier than this. The only other idea I have had is to keep all security off and to activate it when pairing with bluetooth in my car but I am not sure if that is possible.
    10-20-2020 04:28 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, Smart Lock has been glitchy for as long as I can remember. My Pixel 3 XL almost never stays unlocked at home, even though I have it set that way (and have two different ways of designating my home location in the Smart Lock settings). Oddly enough, my new Lenovo Tab M8 FHD does a better job of staying unlocked via Smart Lock (although not 100% of the time).

On possible workaround is to get a Google Nest Mini, which is cheap and wouldn't give you the unlocking problem.

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/as...community.html
    10-20-2020 04:56 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, Smart Lock has been glitchy for as long as I can remember. My Pixel 3 XL almost never stays unlocked at home, even though I have it set that way (and have two different ways of designating my home location in the Smart Lock settings). Oddly enough, my new Lenovo Tab M8 FHD does a better job of staying unlocked via Smart Lock (although not 100% of the time).

On possible workaround is to get a Google Nest Mini, which is cheap and wouldn't give you the unlocking problem.

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/as...community.html
    Smart Lock works well on my Note 8 and past Samsung devices from what I remember but it still asks for that 4 digit pin if my phone is idle long enough.
    10-20-2020 09:35 PM
    Smart Lock works well on my Note 8 and past Samsung devices from what I remember but it still asks for that 4 digit pin if my phone is idle long enough.
    Strange, it's never worked well for me, even on Nexus or Pixel devices. I just posed the question to JR Raphael, and he doesn't have any good explanation either.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-20-2020 09:38 PM