Save big + get 3 months free! Sign up for ExpressVPN today

I MADE THIS THREAD A FEW MONTHS AGO, DIDN'T GET THE ANSWER!! PLEASE HELP!

So, my brother backed up my Samsung Galaxy S4 on his laptop about 3 years ago. Can't remember the program used. He gave me the backup file recently. It's a .bak file which is 1.4GB.
    (I screenshotted the file name and attached it here titled " FILE BACKUP TITLE.PNG")

I edited the file, to a .exe. (eg “Samsung SM-G350E_20191001_103009.bak” delete the bak and write exe after the dot and press enter.) That way I can access everything through winrar. However all of the files are encrypted! We have no idea what the password is, what shall I do! (Attached the "enter password" screen in winrar titled " RAR.PNG")

It has 1000's of photos from 2014-2017, I have no idea on what to do. I've checked out brute forcing, but I wasn't sure how to do it.
    Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails File encrypted! How can I open it!! HELP!!-encrypted-files.png   File encrypted! How can I open it!! HELP!!-rar.png   File encrypted! How can I open it!! HELP!!-file_backup_title.png  
    11-25-2020 05:31 AM
    That looks like it may be a backup file created by either Samsung Smart Switch or Kies. To recover this data, it needs to be restored to that S4. If you can't do that, you may as well give up.
    11-25-2020 06:46 AM
    That looks like it may be a backup file created by either Samsung Smart Switch or Kies. To recover this data, it needs to be restored to that S4. If you can't do that, you may as well give up.
    How can you pinpoint that it looks like smart switch or kies?

So what can I do now? I really need those files, bruteforce seems like an option, but I cant find a decent program.

Thanks!
    11-25-2020 07:33 AM
    It's only an educated guess as Kies (for the s4) was the typical way to back up a Samsung. You could try the file in Kies to see if it recognises the file. I'm assuming by S4 you mean the phone not the tablet. You may like to try Smart Switch but as far as I can remember it doesn't work on older devices. Do you still have the phone because the encryption key also gets restored.
    11-25-2020 09:24 AM
    It's only an educated guess as Kies (for the s4) was the typical way to back up a Samsung. You could try the file in Kies to see if it recognises the file. I'm assuming by S4 you mean the phone not the tablet. You may like to try Smart Switch but as far as I can remember it doesn't work on older devices. Do you still have the phone because the encryption key also gets restored.
    I see. I'll check that all out, thanks.

Yeah, it's the phone.

I still have the phone, but I updated it a bunch. The backup is from some random android 4 rom. But then I updated the phone to android 7. Would that be a problem?

Thanks!!
    11-25-2020 01:15 PM
    Where do you even download kies? It looks like it doesn't officially exist?
    11-25-2020 04:40 PM
    Where do you even download kies? It looks like it doesn't officially exist?
    Hi welcome to AC!

Samsung dropped kies in favor for Smart Switch , might get lucky find Kies apk and try that
    11-25-2020 04:48 PM
    Hi welcome to AC!

Samsung dropped kies in favor for Smart Switch , might get lucky find Kies apk and try that
    Hi, yeah thanks!

Ah I thought so, that sucks. Where do you reckon I should download it from though?
    11-25-2020 04:50 PM
    Hi, yeah thanks!

Ah I thought so, that sucks. Where do you reckon I should download it from though?
    Can try ApK mirror
    11-25-2020 04:51 PM
    Can try ApK mirror
    Hmmm okay thanks, I'll take a look.

Also, have you got any insight on the situation? I'm stumped!

Thanks.
    11-25-2020 05:04 PM
    Hmmm okay thanks, I'll take a look.

Also, have you got any insight on the situation? I'm stumped!

Thanks.
    The issue its encrypted, if you don't know the password and it asking for one , your going be out of luck getting that information
    11-25-2020 05:13 PM