how to get app data & messages from Android 6 to 9

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi, I am migrating off an old phone running Android 6, to a new one running 9. When I started the new phone it took me through a migration procedure, including signing into my Google account. It brought over my contacts. It did not bring over my apps (which I later installed manually).

My app data and text messages did not come over. I have moved the SIM.

I've since messed with Google / Set up & restore / Set up nearby device on the old phone, but it won't see the new phone.

The old phone has an SD card, and much of the app data is on it. But the new phone, and two Windows PC's, won't recognize the card. (The old phone continues to recognize it.)

Is there a way to get my app data & texts to the new phone? I wouldn't mind factory-resetting it if necessary.

Thanks,
- David

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
For texts, SMS Backup & Restore - back up on the old phone, restore on the new one.

For app data, if the app allows you to back up its data, do the same thing - with the app. If not, and the phone is rooted, you can use Titanium Backup. Same thing - back up on the old, restore on the new. If it's not rooted, you can't get to app data in most cases.

(The Google backup is usually restored when you put a new phone on the same account as the old phone, and many phones use NFC to start an old-to-new migration at setup time. [But the new phone has to be on the same Google account as the old one.])

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89