How can I access my desktop pc on my android phone ?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I want to gain access to a document that's on my HP desktop pc by using my android phone and not have to turn my computer on.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
So this is quite a metaphysical query -- if you don't want to turn your computer on and still want to remotely access files on your computer, that's an interesting conundrum.
Here in the real world, it would involve the computer to be running, even briefly, to transfer that document over directly (device to device using either a USB cable or local network) or indirectly (as an attachment to an email or via an online file storage service like Google Drive, Dropbox, MS OneDrive, etc.). In your scenario, with the computer inert and powered off, I can't imagine a possible solution. Even if your computer was in sleep or hibernation mode, accessing files stored on its drive require the drive to be running.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
As noted - in order for the file(s) to be accessible, even remotely, the PC needs to be on so that the storage device is powered and the hardware knows how to (or even can) process the remote file request. One solution if this is not a one-off need would be to store the file(s) on a cloud server that both the PC and the phone can access. You could also set yourself up a NAS that is always running and serves up the files you need or want.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.