Mi 9 Lite - Broken Display

GGadash

Dec 26, 2020
Visit site
My Mi 9 Lite fell off display down. Just from 3 feet, but the impact sound was nasty.

There was a tempered glass and a silicon back cover which had a bit high edges. But the cement floor was not perfectly flat. The tempered glass already had cracks from a previous fall months ago. No new cracks observed.
I picked up the phone and pressed the power button. Unlock screen appeared as usual. Did not unlock as it was very dark. Did not try to unlock it and I thought it is fine.
I came back after an hour later, then the screen was gone. Not completely black, though. Top corners show some light. Battery life is displayed with purple / unusual color.
Photo: https://i.imgur.com/3kleNXD.jpg
Incoming calls received. Touch screen probably not working.
The displayed area is becoming smaller with time. Couple of minutes ago I saw the whole wi-fi icon, but now it is hardly visible.

What happened?
How can it be fixed?
How can I back-up data into my PC?

Thank you very much!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, I think you just have to get the display replaced. Bring it to a repair shop.

Were you syncing any of your information to Google services (i.e., Contacts, Photo, Drive, etc.)?

GGadash

Dec 26, 2020
Visit site
.... I think you just have to get the display replaced.... Were you syncing any of your information to Google services (i.e., Contacts, Photo, Drive, etc.)?
Thanks!

Why the display was Okay just after the impact and it is gone after some time?
Now the screen is pitch black. No light coming out.

I was syncing some stuff.
But there is a folder I created manually, and one app that has no cloud backup/ sync, but backed up in internal storage. It would be great if I can enable USB data transfer, but unfortunately when I plug the cable, it is set to "No data transfer" by default.

BTW, what are other phone models that has a similar display that can be used in Mi 9 Lite.
Parts for Mi 9 Lite can not be found in local shops.
Can Mi 9T, Mi 9 displays be used? Or any other phone display? Samsung etc?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

The impact may have damaged or loosened a connection, so there's the possibility that the screen itself is still intact -- I'd still bring it to a repair shop to diagnose. I know that LCD screens can develop leaks from damage that turn the screen a pink or purplish color, but I'm not sure if that happens with super AMOLED.

You can try accessing your phone this way, but I'm not sure if those steps will work with a more recent phone: A quick guide to accessing a locked phone with a cracked screen - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

I doubt you'll be able to mix and match parts from other phones, since it would need to fit precisely.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Thanks!

I was syncing some stuff.
But there is a folder I created manually, and one app that has no cloud backup/ sync, but backed up in internal storage. It would be great if I can enable USB data transfer, but unfortunately when I plug the cable, it is set to "No data transfer" by default.

BTW, what are other phone models that has a similar display that can be used in Mi 9 Lite.
Parts for Mi 9 Lite can not be found in local shops.
Can Mi 9T, Mi 9 displays be used? Or any other phone display? Samsung etc?

Depending on multiple factors all going perfectly in your favor, would it be worth fixing. It’s more likely, a better use of money to see if the OEM could repair at your expense with a warranty or sell you a refurbished model.

GGadash

Dec 26, 2020
Visit site
How to turn off the phone?
When I try, it always reboots. Online tutorials there to go to fast boot, but there some say to press vol up, other say to press vol down. But most of them written to do with a broken touch screen, not for black screen where logos can not be seen.