GF just got a Samsung Galaxy S20, and we can't for the life of me get hotmail to play nice!

We tried three different mail-clients, and none of them - or even the browser - can login to hotmail, even though it works fine from a browser on a pc on the same network! It keeps saying the password is incorrect, even though it very surely isn't!

We would prefer to get it working in the Gmail app, but how?
    12-26-2020 03:24 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! If she's using 2-step authentication, she probably needs to generate an app password instead of using the one she created: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-a6f2979a7944

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/as...community.html
    12-26-2020 03:32 PM
    She does not use 2-step, no. We even tried the Outlook app, that doesn't work either...
    12-26-2020 03:49 PM
    Still, try using an app password. I think a number of these webmail providers (including Yahoo) are now requiring the use of app passwords when accessing the service through a client.
    12-26-2020 03:52 PM
    Except it is not possible to generate app passwords when you don't have 2-step or the authenticator app enabled...
    12-26-2020 04:10 PM
    I just noticed that you said it doesn't even work in the browser -- you're referring to the webmail site for Hotmail (or Outlook.com)? Does the password have any special characters or various capital letters? Are you able to show the password as you're typing, to make absolutely sure it's correct, and that the keyboard isn't mistyping anything?
    12-26-2020 06:03 PM
    Since Hotmail is now hosted on Outlook.com, go to the Outlook.com help pages and verify that the server settings you are using are correct.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-28-2020 04:25 AM
    So, we finally got it working - sort of...
    The Gmail account works i the Gmail app. The hotmail account works in Samsungs own email app - NOT in the Outlook app! A third account, a private domain hosted at Outlook.com, works in the Outlook app, NOT in the Samsung app!
    It is at times like these that I question some of my lifes decisions - like pursuing a career in IT... :-/
    01-02-2021 07:40 AM
    you may want to connect your hotmail account with your outlook account - if you have one. That is what I did. This way it can be hosted in the outlook app.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-02-2021 02:30 PM