Why is my lenovo tablet's battery draining so fast overnight?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

So , this problem came up almost two weeks ago when I noticed that I was waking up with 30-40% battery even though it was around 75-90% before sleeping at midnight. I have tried turning airplane mode on before going to sleep and closing all the tabs and I charge with my airplane mode on to almost 80-90% but I'm still waking up at 7 or 8 am to see that there's a 40-55% battery drain.

All suggestions are welcome.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Well it sounds like you are taking good steps. Air Plane mode should stop your device from using data, which uses a little battery, but it also stops apps from trying to update which is the real draw in that case. Closing background apps helps too as they are not being held in RAM so your processor should be at low idle. These are great steps to reduce use. If the battery is still draining after that it is more likely to be the battery going bad. There are lots of battery health apps on the Play Store. If I say his name perhaps B. Diddy will recommend his favorite as I cannot recall the name of it at the moment. In the meantime many cellular repair shops can usually test your battery and will do it for free, as long as you don't tell them you are going to make the repair yourself after you leave. Joking but serious.

Anyway, to reply to this thread and receive notifications when others leave comments please create an account. This link will help you do that... https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community-new-post.html

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
GSAM Battery monitor is one such app.

Some apps may not respect airplane mode and may still try to update. It's possible it's because I re-enabled WiFi, but back when we could travel without concern I found that in order to not drain my battery during a flight I had to disable my work profile when I was on a plane.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I usually recommend GSam Battery Monitor, as hallux mentioned above.

Do the following:

Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which may show Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal) -- this would only be if the tablet is LTE-enabled.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html
You might have to install a 3rd party battery monitor, like GSam Battery Monitor as mentioned above, to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I don’t think he’ll notice unless you say it like this: @B. Diddy.

I've seen others do the @ but I get mention notifications sometimes when my name just appears in a reply. It may be more reliable that way but B. always seems to find or notice my mentions. We have a psychic connection perhaps or it's just dumb luck. LOL. Anyway it was GSAM that I was thinking of so thanks @hallux.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You always need the @ sign to tag someone -- but if the username is not spelled exactly correctly, then it won't go through. So for example, if you were to type B.Diddy (without the space after the period) after the @ sign, I wouldn't get tagged.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
You always need the @ sign to tag someone -- but if the username is not spelled exactly correctly, then it won't go through. So for example, if you were to type B.Diddy (without the space after the period) after the @ sign, I wouldn't get tagged.

What you're really saying is dumb luck. LOL. That's cool though, better to have some luck than none at all.

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
So , this problem came up almost two weeks ago when I noticed that I was waking up with 30-40% battery even though it was around 75-90% before sleeping at midnight. I have tried turning airplane mode on before going to sleep and closing all the tabs and I charge with my airplane mode on to almost 80-90% but I'm still waking up at 7 or 8 am to see that there's a 40-55% battery drain.

All suggestions are welcome.

Was there ever a solution to this?

I'm asking this on behalf of someone, and I won't have their tablet in front of me.

So I won't be able to post screen shots or anything.

I can suggest any simple tips to this person, though.

What I noticed on this person's tablet is that even with the display turned off, the battery by about 60% overnight. It's a fairly new tablet, less than 2 months old.

Lenovo M10 FHD.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

I'm asking this on behalf of someone, and I won't have their tablet in front of me.

What I noticed on this person's tablet is that even with the display turned off, the battery by about 60% overnight. It's a fairly new tablet, less than 2 months old.

Lenovo M10 FHD.
They never registered to confirm

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

Lenovo M10 FHD.

It can be a rogue, or just poorly coded app or apps, it can be a bad battery, but considering the tablets pretty new that might not be it. It could also be a software issue.... I've had multiple devices running android that exhibited similar charging and battery behavior problems, some after updates, and in some cases a factory reset fixed it.

Android doesn't always seem to be the best at consistent charging and battery behavior across different devices.... kinda like Bluetooth lol.

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Ok, I have the Lenovo M10 FHD with me for a little while, to see if I can help improve its performance. (It's not mine).

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 of my own. In comparison, I can have the Tab S4 powered on, but display off, for 22 - 24 hours, and the battery drains by less than 5%.

Meanwhile, with this Lenovo M10 FHD, the display is off but it has drained 10% in about 2.5 hours. This was after I turned down the brightness too, to match what I have on the Galaxy Tab S4.

Any ideas?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ok, I have the Lenovo M10 FHD with me for a little while, to see if I can help improve its performance. (It's not mine).

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 of my own. In comparison, I can have the Tab S4 powered on, but display off, for 22 - 24 hours, and the battery drains by less than 5%.

Meanwhile, with this Lenovo M10 FHD, the display is off but it has drained 10% in about 2.5 hours. This was after I turned down the brightness too, to match what I have on the Galaxy Tab S4.

Any ideas?
Check your battery stats , maybe could be a indicator or Lenovo M10 has little more battery wear .

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Check your battery stats , maybe could be a indicator or Lenovo M10 has little more battery wear .

In the battery stats, see which app is using the most battery.

How do I do that?

I went to Settings-->Battery-->Battery Usage. It shows a graph, and says it's down to 71% in 7 hours.

Under "Battery Usage Since Last Full Charge", it says "Battery usage data isn't available".