I am trying to backup my phone to pc with Smart Switch. It wont start saying I need to free up 1.7GB data on device. I have plenty of room on my PC. Even when I deleted a couple apps it gives me the same message. Any ideas on how to proceed?
    01-02-2021 08:30 PM
    Which Samsung devices ?

I'll leave a Link to register so you can communicate here as a guest account you can only post questions but can't reply

https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=409154
    01-02-2021 08:32 PM
    I have registered. Device is J337A. Thanks
    01-02-2021 08:55 PM
    I have registered. Device is J337A. Thanks
    Hi, welcome to AC!

This a Samsung j3 ? What andriod version its on and storage size of the device?
    01-02-2021 09:06 PM
    Yes - it is a Samsung J3. Android version 9. Storage 16 GB.
    01-02-2021 09:32 PM
    Ok so your phone storage is almost full , when you connect to smart switch on the pc it won't let you back up because phone storage is full , that correct?
    01-02-2021 09:54 PM
    Yes - storage is 99.9% full. I have been told this is likely due to corrupt files (because it all shows up under "Other" in the Storage Analysis) and the way to resolve is do a factory reset. Thus I am trying to use Smart Switch to do a backup to my PC to ensure I can get back what I need. And yes you are correct that when I connect to Smart Switch on PC it wont let me back it up. I don't understand why it needs the room on my phone as I am trying to save the backup on my PC which has plenty of room.
    01-03-2021 12:22 PM
    Yeah that doesn't make sense , but I never had my device full on storage.
    Do you see this message when plug into Smart Switch on phone or Smart Switch itself?
    01-03-2021 12:37 PM
    I see the message on the PC in Smart Switch after I choose the backup option. This is what happens: I connect the phone via USB to PC. I start Smart Switch on PC. It connects to the device and smart switch screen comes up on phone. I choose the Backup button on PC screen. It gives me a checklist of items to backup and I have about half of them selected. Then I push the button to start. "SM-J377A data us being backed up" message appears. Also message at bottom "Loading backup lists..." and the 3 dots keep moving for about a minute. Then a popup box appears with "Insufficient space to back up." message on top and "There's not enough space. Delete 1.12 GB from your device to back up data."

I did delete 2 apps since yesterday and it has changed from delete 1.7 to delete 1.12 so it does seem to recognize the change in space.
    I was just hoping for a setting to be looking for the space on PC instead of the phone.

Thx
    01-03-2021 12:58 PM
    I see the message on the PC in Smart Switch after I choose the backup option. This is what happens: I connect the phone via USB to PC. I start Smart Switch on PC. It connects to the device and smart switch screen comes up on phone. I choose the Backup button on PC screen. It gives me a checklist of items to backup and I have about half of them selected. Then I push the button to start. "SM-J377A data us being backed up" message appears. Also message at bottom "Loading backup lists..." and the 3 dots keep moving for about a minute. Then a popup box appears with "Insufficient space to back up." message on top and "There's not enough space. Delete 1.12 GB from your device to back up data."

I did delete 2 apps since yesterday and it has changed from delete 1.7 to delete 1.12 so it does seem to recognize the change in space.
    I was just hoping for a setting to be looking for the space on PC instead of the phone.

Thx
    I'm looking this up. Like I mentioned I never ran into this because my phones had plenty of space
    01-03-2021 02:45 PM
    I'm not seeing any mention on the Smart Switch notices about phone has to have certain amount of free space but if that message in SS scores up I would try to delete maybe little more see if it goes through.
    01-03-2021 03:03 PM