Why do my settings reset whenever I restart or shut off my phone?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I think this has been going on since September. I have no idea why!

For months, I've been getting annoyed since this happened. Battery percentage disappears, brightness at max, ringtones, notification sounds, screen time-out reverts to 30 seconds, and the standard settings.

I've tried doing the one with the three phone icons but to no avail. Can anyone help?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is it actually doing a factory reset each time?

Are you actually powering the phone off? There's usually no reason to physically power off the phone on a regular basis.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The phone I use is a Samsung Galaxy Wide, SM-G600S. And, I don't shut this off regularly it's just that it sometimes does that on its own when the screen freezes but it doesn't do that anymore. But, the problem I have is still going on.
Hi, welcome to AC!

Is it on andriod 5 or 7 ?

This device is very underpowered . Try safe mode but I'm sure it's not getting supported any longer so any bugs that you encountered not going be addressed.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
The phone I use is a Samsung Galaxy Wide, SM-G600S. And, I don't shut this off regularly it's just that it sometimes does that on its own when the screen freezes but it doesn't do that anymore. But, the problem I have is still going on.

Your best bet is probably to factory reset it if a cache partition wipe doesn't help, and only install apps you actually use. It will be easy to overload that phone and slow it down and cause weird problems. It could also be the battery failing.

Nov 24, 2020
Visit site
Update on my settings reset problem

Ive asked a question abt this a long time ago so i guess its time i update it. So, the situation is still going on. However i plugged in my earphones and all of a sudden it started restarting multiple times and would only stop if i unplugged them. Settings still reset to default to this day if the phone restarts by random or by choice. Have no clue why, and i get annoyed easily so i really want something like this to be fixed. Again, i use a samsung galaxy wide sm-g600s. Not a well known phone in some places but i guess itll have to do.

Ben xfg

Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
Re: Update on my settings reset problem

Ive asked a question abt this a long time ago so i guess its time i update it. So, the situation is still going on. However i plugged in my earphones and all of a sudden it started restarting multiple times and would only stop if i unplugged them. Settings still reset to default to this day if the phone restarts by random or by choice. Have no clue why, and i get annoyed easily so i really want something like this to be fixed. Again, i use a samsung galaxy wide sm-g600s. Not a well known phone in some places but i guess itll have to do.

Have you tried the nuclear option which would be a factory reset?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like a hardware issue. I'd take it to a repair shop. And if you have any important data on that phone, make sure it's backed up or synced somewhere, in case the phone suddenly fails completely.

Nov 24, 2020
Visit site
Unfortunately the cache wipe didnt work, however i dont know where to sync up or back up my data since the spare phone we have is the same brand and has been damaged in the past. Im also having trouble with battery draining and really, really slow charging. Ill try to keep updates.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Any data in your Google services (like Google Contacts, Google Calendar, Google Drive, etc.) should be synced automatically to the cloud -- you can check by going to the corresponding websites on your computer browser and making sure that data is in the cloud.

You can use Google Photos to backup your photos.

I'm not sure if Samsung's backup options are still valid for a phone that old, since Samsung Cloud is shutting down soon, and I'm not sure if that phone will work with OneDrive.

The battery is most likely draining quickly and charging slowly because it's so old. It's a 6 year old phone.

Nov 24, 2020
Visit site
I'm back with another update but the issue is kinda different. Lately, some or most apps have been freezing at certain times, and then crash. I've scanned in case of viruses but found nothing. I cleared up some space and refreshed some memory but it didn't work either. This happened yesterday and I have a feeling there is something that's happening with my phone, I just don't know what it is. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's a 6 year-old phone, so it could be a number of things. It's presumably on Nougat (or possibly Marshmallow, if it never got updated), so it's possible some apps might not work that well on such an old OS version. Or one of those apps might just be glitching (either due to poor coding or incompatibility with some other app). Or something in the system might be getting gummed up -- try booting into Recovery and wiping the cache partition: https://www.hardreset.info/devices/samsung/samsung-g600s-galaxy-wide/recovery-mode/

Nov 24, 2020
Visit site
Somehow unable to update YT

This is in response to a message from an old post of mine. Surprisingly, the cache wipe worked, but before I did that, my dad came to check on my phone. He said I should do a factory reset and forget about all my data (which I didn't) he then somehow deleted Youtube and the built-in updates. Right after he said he couldn't do anything, he left. Then, I managed to get my phone to power off to perform the cache wipe. I remembered he deleted YT so I tried to reinstall the updates but errors were saying there was another app blocking access to Google Play. Which I didn't know. The model is SM-G600S. Any thoughts on this?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay