Is there a way to add the Files app back into the launcher in android 10

isidore636

Dec 16, 2020
Visit site
Android 10.

My launcher has "Files" which is "Files by google"

I've put an OTG flash into the phone and "Files by google" does not browse to it or show it in any way.

Settings > Storage does show it and when i click on it, it allows me to open it with either "Files" or "Files by google".

When i open it with Files, i can move stuff on and off it with no issue and in fact i kind of like that Files app better BUT i can't find it anywhere in my launcher as i would likely use that instead of Files By Google most of the time.

Is there anyway i can get a launcher icon for the Files app which is obviously still buried in android 10 somewhere?

-i

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
In many devices Files is the stock file manager and can be accessed from Settings - Storage - Files. Many times it doesn't have a shortcut in the app drawer that can be moved to the home screen.

You would need an app with access to Activities, such as Nova launcher or any shortcut creator, to make a widget that opens Files. With Nova launcher I used this activity as a test, it could be slightly different depending on your phone. It worked :)
Screenshot_20210111-053823.jpeg

isidore636

Dec 16, 2020
Visit site
read all the responses. thank you! forgot to mention the phone - it's an UMIDIGI A3X with the stock launcher

after reading the last post, i decided to check if there was an app which somehow got me access to the stock Files app.

in the play store i found and tried:

Files - Hidden System File Manager by Android_RK

now there's another Files icon in my launcher which fires up the stock Files app, so, i think i'm happy!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
read all the responses. thank you! forgot to mention the phone - it's an UMIDIGI A3X with the stock launcher

after reading the last post, i decided to check if there was an app which somehow got me access to the stock Files app.

in the play store i found and tried:

Files - Hidden System File Manager by Android_RK

now there's another Files icon in my launcher which fires up the stock Files app, so, i think i'm happy!
Welcome to AC!
Thanks for letting us know !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alfatv