Home Android Central Q&A > Ask a Question

Standby phone dead, need advice please

Asked: Feb 01 2021 | 2:46 am EST 433 Views 8 Answers View Best Answer

My 3-year-old Moto G5 Plus which was working normally died suddenly. It was my standby phone and I used it for reading the news, listening to music, sometimes the camera, etc. Battery life was not what it was 2 years back.

I just want to know that since I was logged into my Google account in the G5 Plus should I take it to the service centre and get it repaired? Is it worth spending money on if the motherboard needs to be replaced?

Thanks !

Best Answer

Feb 01 2021 | 11:35 am EST Rinsun

I’ve had three phones fail due to - presumably - motherboard failure. They power on, start the booting process, but don’t complete it. If your phone doesn’t even power on and light up, it may be a bad battery or some relatively simple component rather than a motherboard problem. I’m only guessing at that, but it may be worth bearing in mind.
Thanks! I will see what they say at the service centre.

It doesn't power on or light up at all, I kept it on charge for about 3 hours. I had fully charged it the night before and the alarm rang normally in the morning and the battery was at 87 percent after that. It showed no response after about 2 hours.
I tried all the power button and volume button suggestions and also connected it to a laptop.

More Answers

Feb 01 2021 | 6:34 am EST belodion

I’ve had three phones fail due to - presumably - motherboard failure. They power on, start the booting process, but don’t complete it. If your phone doesn’t even power on and light up, it may be a bad battery or some relatively simple component rather than a motherboard problem. I’m only guessing at that, but it may be worth bearing in mind.

Feb 01 2021 | 11:39 am EST B. Diddy

It could just be the battery, so it's up to you if you think the cost of battery replacement is worthwhile -- but probably not, since I'd guess you can find a better cheap backup phone these days for about the same cost.

If you're worried about being logged into the phone at the time, it's not a big security risk. You can always go to your Google account on the web and log out of that device there: myaccount.google.com/device-activity

Feb 01 2021 | 12:09 pm EST belodion

It may also be worth flood-cleaning the Power button with alcohol, since that, I suppose, could be the cause of the trouble; but again, I’m guessing.

Feb 01 2021 | 10:11 pm EST Rinsun

It could just be the battery, so it's up to you if you think the cost of battery replacement is worthwhile -- but probably not, since I'd guess you can find a better cheap backup phone these days for about the same cost.

If you're worried about being logged into the phone at the time, it's not a big security risk. You can always go to your Google account on the web and log out of that device there: myaccount.google.com/device-activity
Thanks !
I thought of this but I was wondering whether logging out of the phone from my Google account would work on a dead phone.

Feb 01 2021 | 10:23 pm EST B. Diddy

It wouldn't log you out immediately if the phone isn't on. But if the phone somehow came back to life, then once it connected to the network, it would receive the command to log out.

Feb 01 2021 | 10:50 pm EST Rinsun

It wouldn't log you out immediately if the phone isn't on. But if the phone somehow came back to life, then once it connected to the network, it would receive the command to log out.
I will do it , thanks for confirming

Feb 01 2021 | 10:55 pm EST Rinsun

I signed out of the phone.
I have removed the SD card also.