App is telling me phone is rooted even after a factory reset

Python49

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Using Samsung Galaxy Note 5, SM-N920V. 6.0.1, I have done a factory reset but still the app is telling me that my phone is rotted. I'm failing the SafetyNet for CTS and Basic Integrity. The phone is running android 6.0.1 and doesn't seem to be missing an update as far as when it checks for updates. What should I do?

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
A Factory Reset does one thing, it wipes the user data partition clean. This essentially just removes the user account data. It does not do anything to the installed Android operating system so a rooted phone will remain rooted after a FR, just like a phone currently running an upgraded Pie will not be returned to its originally installed Nougat.

The internal storage in any Android device is divided up into several partitions, most being dedicated to the operating system, and one solely as a user data partition. Those system partitions have protected, system-level restrictions from user interaction, the user data partition has wide open, fully accessible permissions. So when you do a Factory Reset, that wipes that user partition clean, but it doesn't alter those system partitions. You need to flash a clean, stock ROM to do what you're expecting. Flashing the ROM replaces the installed OS, a FR does not.
Go here to download the appropriate stock Samsung ROM for your SM-N920V
https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-note-5/firmware/#SM-N920V

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Using Samsung Galaxy Note 5, SM-N920V. 6.0.1, I have done a factory reset but still the app is telling me that my phone is rotted. I'm failing the SafetyNet for CTS and Basic Integrity. The phone is running android 6.0.1 and doesn't seem to be missing an update as far as when it checks for updates. What should I do?
Factory reset won't change the status if the phone is rooted, you would need to flash the stock firmware to get rid of root.

Python49

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I've never rooted my phone before and don't even know how. So why would I be getting this message that my phone is rooted? Would flashing the ROM fix the problem? Should I still do it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781