Just download the new update on my Samsung A51. I notice that my memory is running at 2.4 or more most of the time and when I clean apps using device care it only goes down to 2.0, whereas it would go down to 1.7 before the update.

Anything I can do to get it back down? I've went into as many apps as I can and disallowed background data and all that.

Thanks
    03-20-2021 06:35 PM
    Hi, welcome to AC!

How much ram the phone has ?
    03-20-2021 07:55 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! The main question would be if you're noticing any negative impact on the phone's performance. If not, then I would recommend against micromanaging the phone's RAM. Clearing RAM on a regular basis can actually decrease the phone's performance and battery life, since the phone may just automatically reopen certain apps into RAM. Remember that Android is not Windows, so there's no benefit to keeping RAM as empty as possible.
    mustang7757 and J Dubbs like this.
    03-20-2021 10:50 PM
    Hi, welcome to AC!

How much ram the phone has ?
    It has 4gb of ram.
    03-21-2021 04:25 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! The main question would be if you're noticing any negative impact on the phone's performance. If not, then I would recommend against micromanaging the phone's RAM. Clearing RAM on a regular basis can actually decrease the phone's performance and battery life, since the phone may just automatically reopen certain apps into RAM. Remember that Android is not Windows, so there's no benefit to keeping RAM as empty as possible.
    Thanks for the welcome. I understand what you're saying but I notice a drop in performance and also having 2.5 or more out of 4 running constantly will drain the battery faster surely. So again... Is there anything I can do to get the ram usage down?
    03-21-2021 04:29 AM
    also having 2.5 or more out of 4 running constantly will drain the battery faster surely.
    Having to constantly re-load apps to RAM from storage will use more battery. Keeping data in a memory "cell" doesn't use a ton of power. The reality is that a modern non-Windows OS wants to keep RAM as full as possible to improve performance. Windows has conditioned us to believe that more memory free is better, this is not always the case.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    03-21-2021 07:12 AM
    It has 4gb of ram.
    The system will take up about half that
    03-21-2021 10:39 AM
    Thanks for the welcome. I understand what you're saying but I notice a drop in performance and also having 2.5 or more out of 4 running constantly will drain the battery faster surely. So again... Is there anything I can do to get the ram usage down?
    I'd be curious to see any clear evidence showing that the RAM usage you're talking about would lead to any noticeable battery drain. I agree with hallux -- any possible gain you might achieve by clearing RAM out would be more than countered by the energy required to open apps back into RAM frequently.

Show us a screenshot of the Memory Usage menu (which might require activating the Developer Options). Are there any particular apps that constantly open automatically that you never use? If so, you could try uninstalling them (if you installed them) or disabling them (if they were preinstalled).
    03-21-2021 12:46 PM