Can we cheat on Google Photos?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Since we need to pay for Google Photos in this June, I wanna ask couple questions.

1. If we pay Google Photos, they will give us unlimited storage or limited?

2. What will happen to my photos that have been backup on paid Google Photos if I don't pay the next month?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! There's no paying for Google Photos on its own -- you need to pay to expand your Google Drive storage beyond the usual free 15 GB using the Google One plan: https://one.google.com/about/plans

Any photos that are already backed up to your Google Photos will remain safe, and won't suddenly count toward your Google Drive storage. Only after June 2021 will newly backed up photos start counting. Remember that this doesn't apply if you have any Pixel phone up to the Pixel 5.

And no, there's no cheat to get around this (and even if there were, we certainly wouldn't allow discussion about it on this forum).

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I pay $2.99/ month for 200gb. I'm seriously thinking about seeing up a nas. Network attached storage. To have control over my photos. I have memories dating back to 2006 on google photos. It would suck to lose them all if something were to somehow happen on google's end. There will come a time when that 200gb will be used up. I could get a 1 or 2 tb drive and set up a nas. I just need to research how to do it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Google has such immense storage capacity and redundancy upon redundancy that I'd say it's pretty much impossible for them to lose your photos. But you're right, at some point, you might use up all 200 GB of cloud storage. Another option to consider if you're an Amazon Prime subscriber would be Amazon Photos, which is unlimited (at original quality).

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I pay $2.99/ month for 200gb. I'm seriously thinking about seeing up a nas. Network attached storage. To have control over my photos. I have memories dating back to 2006 on google photos. It would suck to lose them all if something were to somehow happen on google's end. There will come a time when that 200gb will be used up. I could get a 1 or 2 tb drive and set up a nas. I just need to research how to do it.

Synology has a new DiskStation Manager (DSM is the firmware for their NAS devices) that will enable a new Photos app to rival the functionality of Google Photos. I would suggest having an off-site backup of that NAS. https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/...-ahead-of-a-big-diskstation-manager-redesign/

I already have a NAS set up and plan to move to this...

bradavon

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
OneDrive. You get 1TB with MS365. Even though it's photo side isn't as good as Google Photos:

1. All photos gets put in a single folder, regardless of what folder they were on the phone.
2. The OneDrive Android App and Website are poor at viewing photos. But I use Samsung Gallery and File Explorer to actually view photos so it's fine.

I've never used Google Photos.