Desktop links stop working on reboot

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Android completely useless since last 2 versions and getting worse. I have the google news app installed but, because of personalisation it's totally useless and only ever gives me biased stories I have no interest whatsoever in. My solution was to install the Opera browser and use a link from Google News to my desktop. As I'm not signed in the newsfeed is great (not ideal but better than being signed in). The problem I have is that the link won't work after a reboot and I have to set it all up over and over again. With the nature of the android updates my phone crashes about 5-6 times a day. Is there a way to stop android disabling this link?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central.

The crashing system would be more of a concern than the links not working and may be the cause of the links not working. By fixing the big issue of your device randomly shutting down vs the smaller issue of something not working you may fix the small issue as well.

Please begin by describing more about the device crashes. Include what device you have, what you're doing when the device crashes and how you're recovering from these crashes? Include any other relevant details that may give us clues to this issue for the best advice.

To reply to this thread and receive notifications when others leave comments please create an account. This link will help you do that... https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community-new-post.html

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What do you mean by "biased" news stories? You mean stories that don't follow your own bias? Remember, you can always tap the 3-dot menu button associated with a headline and tap the thumbs down if you want fewer stories like that. If you don't like a particular news provider, you can also select the Hide Stories from that particular provider.

It's not clear where the link is that you're referring to. Do you mean a link in a site when you're using Opera? Or a link in the Google News app?

mmmreece

Jun 12, 2021
Visit site
The crashing started immediately after the last Android update to Android 11. I had my Banking app installed but it immediately stopped working and left me locked out of my bank account. After weeks of talking to the complaints guy at the bank he said it was down to the Android update. My phone is a Nokia 2.3 and was as close to perfect as it could be before the Android 10 update. Pre lockdown I used to walk 20 miles every day and listened to a combination of music, audio plays and educational lectures whilst walking but as of the Android 10 update playlists were broken and have never worked since. I found a work round for this. Android 11 has just made my phone unusable to a certain degree. Just to open up chrome may take 2-3 minutes. The crashing is random. Sometimes it will have been next to the sofa when it will randomly reboot. There have been times when it has rang and the action of answering it has crashed it. Unfortunately, due to the lockdown I have very little income and can't afford to replace it but I'm seriously considering not getting another android phone after this experience. If I could roll back to Android 9 I would. It was good then

mmmreece

Jun 12, 2021
Visit site
The biased news stories are such as if I google brexit and then read stories about remainers then all my stories are about what a disaster brexit has been. I'm impartial to this and would rather have the opera unsigned in version where the stories are balanced. An example of the pointlessness of personalisation is that my mum asked me the other day who was going to be the new host of Countdown and so I googledit. After this I was inundated with stories about watchdog, the weakest link, suzie dent, Rachel Riley and Carol Vorderman. I also constantly get stories about Susana Reid, Piers Morgan, Gemma Atkinson and other random people I don't want to know about. I used to live in Chester and so subscribed to local stories but even this was a disaster as the local paper was the chester chronicle which means I get local news from all the chronicles, including the Argyle chronicle. Also when Chester Bennington died it was almost impossible to get local news stories. As for the unsubsribing, it just doesn't work. One more funny but annoying thing about this before I finish. One of my mates is a huge Tranmere Rovers fan and so I added them to keep up with the scores. I have no interest in football but was happy enough to get Tranmere's scores. This was fine for a couple of weeks until my news first of all spread to teams that Tranmere had played. Then it went into rugby, cricket and tennis. I'd rather just have a turn personalisation off option. I remember when Google news used to be good. Funnily enough it's not that far away from the unsigned in version I use on Opera

mmmreece

Jun 12, 2021
Visit site
Sorry but forgot to mention. In the opera browser there's an option to save the link to my android homepage. This is the link that's broken after every reboot. I've not really checked most of the links but another link that I know isn't working is an app I wrote myself for inventory taking for a previous job. Sorry if I sound cheesed off but I'm just a bit frustrated with it all at the moment. I appreciate you replying to my ravings.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the details -- the reply about biased news stories was temporarily in the moderation queue (which I think was automatic, not due to someone flagging it manually -- the forum software has some weird algorithms for this). I approved it.

For the crash issues, you could try wiping the system cache partition (although this process seems much more complex on this phone compared to others): https://www.hardreset.info/devices/nokia/nokia-23/wipe-cache/

For the news story preferences issue -- have you tried doing those things to tell Google News about your preferences on an ongoing basis? In my experience, it can take several times before the app gets the hint. For example, I was getting news stories about Indian movie stars for a while, and I had to mark those stories as uninteresting several times maybe over the course of a week or more before I stopped getting them.

Also, is it possible that anyone else could have done Google searches on a device that you were logged into, and maybe forgot to log out of? It's easy to do that -- I see so many public terminals at my workplace that are still logged into personal Google, Yahoo, or Microsoft accounts. So any search on those respective systems would be added to that user's search history.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital