Is the autofocus on my S21 broken?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I know there are other threads on this topic, but I wanted a more specific opinion. I have a brand-new S21 5G base model which had a fall not long after unboxing. There is a loud rattle coming from the camera that I can't convince myself was there just beforehand. I've seen plenty of threads saying it's a natural property of the focusing mechanism. However, it doesn't completely go away when the camera is on, it just gets quieter. Moreover, most of the reports of loud rattling were from the Ultra, which I do NOT have. It does seem to be focusing fine, but I worry my untrained eyes might be missing the problem. Is there any reliable way I can test my cameras to see if there is a problem?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It's totally normal for there to be a little rattle from the camera. This can be present on any device, not just Samsung phones. I can hear it in my Pixel 3 XL. As long as it's working well, I wouldn't worry about it. But make sure you have a good case on the phone, in case it falls again.

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

stellar_cmdr

Jun 29, 2021
Visit site
OP here! It seems to be focusing fine. There's a decent amount of "watercolor" effect at high zooms but I'm probably just over-analyzing. I don't even know if a loose focusing mechanism would cause that. It does still click when shook (gently) even when zoomed in and focused but it doesn't drift off-focus or anything. Thanks for the advice!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
OP here! It seems to be focusing fine. There's a decent amount of "watercolor" effect at high zooms but I'm probably just over-analyzing. I don't even know if a loose focusing mechanism would cause that. It does still click when shook (gently) even when zoomed in and focused but it doesn't drift off-focus or anything. Thanks for the advice!
Hi welcome to AC!
You should be ok then !

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane