LG leaving the smartphone market—who will fill the void?

Nov 24, 2017
Visit site
I have noticed the Android smartphone market getting smaller and smaller, especially with LG leaving the smartphone market. Needless to say, I wanted to get an LG phone in the near future. What other brands do you suggest that make phones that are similar to those of LG's? Thank you for your time.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
LG started going cookie cutter so that there isn't a lot of difference between their latest offerings and the other big players. I have the V60 and so far nothing ticks all the boxes it does (and even it no longer ticks all the boxes of earlier versions like the V20). So I'll be in the same boat when it's time for me to upgrade.

I use to prefer LG for their manual mode camera abilities, but now I have a full DSLR kit for when I want to get creative. Since that isn't as important to me, I'm keeping an eye on the Asus ROG line. They look to have a lot of nice gaming features, but no carrier officially fully supports them in they U.S. despite being officially sold here. This is especially frustrating with Verizon. Basically Asus doesn't want to go through the effort of getting VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling certifications, and sell you the phone with a "good luck" attitude when you check out. Some of their phones do work on some carriers (including one report that someone got a version of the ROG 5 working on Verizon), so I would just caution you to do your due diligence researching compatibility if you decide to go their route.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Are any TCL phones available in the United States? I have just seen that some of their phones look like those of LG.

The 10 and 20 series are available in the UK, prices from about £150-£500. B. Diddy mentions the 10 in the USA, but the £500 one is one of the 20 series.

So far as I know, they are not new to phone manufacture, except under their own name.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
TCL had previously been known primarily as a display manufacturer, but they've been expanding their products to TVs, phones, tablets, and earbuds.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I thought TCL was a low end electronics house brand for one of the big box stores . I guess I'll have to check them out when the time comes. The notch free design is almost worth buying regardless of the other specs.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I bought a TCL TV for my daughter at Xmas and it is lightweight but the screen is excellent and it runs perfectly and it was only £299 for a 43” 4K TV. She loves it. So I would consider TCL and people do seem to like them. Go on YouTube and look at some of the reviews of the TCL 20 series.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci