Wrong Google account as main account

Waizor

Jul 22, 2021
Visit site
Hi all!

I bought a new One Plus 8T yesterday and cloned my old 3T with it so I could keep all my settings (Oneplus/Google cloning application from Play store). However, I believe the "main Google account" is wrong.

My One Plus 3T had several accounts logged in because of some email inboxes I had to keep track of at the time. Because I do not require these accounts anymore I removed all of them after cloning (Android said I could remove all these accounts after the cloning, so I did). However, when I now go to Settings -> Accounts it says the following:

Accounts for <old-account>:
Google <correct email, not linked to old account>
Reddit <correct email, not linked to old account>
Whatsapp
etc.

So it lists all those correct accounts, including my correct e-mail address, under a list that starts with "accounts for <old-account>". I checked this old-account by logging in on my laptop, it says nothing about an 8T being connected to this account and does not hold any data like contacts.

When I login to my correct (and current) Google account it does list my new phone and data.

So why is my phone listing all my currect accounts under a what seems to be an "over-arching" account name? This old account was never a main account by any means on my old 3T, it was just logged because of the inbox.

The problem is that I cannot seem to change that, the header "Accounts for <old-account>" is nothing more than that, just a header and I cannot click on it. I want to change it because that old account is still in use by other people (inbox for multiple purposes) and I do not want any link to my personal data to that account. How do I solve this?

Thanks in advance and all the best,

Waizor

Waizor

Jul 22, 2021
Visit site
Hi B. Diddy, thanks for your fast reply! I checked it out and my correct Google account is logged into the phone (also, no other accounts are even in the drop-down list). This makes me think the phone is now actually 'named' after that old Google account? I have added an imagine to clarify. Under the blue line it says, let's say, Office A (old account). Under all the black lines it simply states my correct e-mail address (and the one I am logged into under the Google settings).

I am rather confused. When I go over to "about this phone", the name of the phone is simply One Plus 8T. I cannot find any section that lists "Office A" as its name.Android central.jpg

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi B. Diddy, thanks for your fast reply! I checked it out and my correct Google account is logged into the phone (also, no other accounts are even in the drop-down list). This makes me think the phone is now actually 'named' after that old Google account? I have added an imagine to clarify. Under the blue line it says, let's say, Office A (old account). Under all the black lines it simply states my correct e-mail address (and the one I am logged into under the Google settings).

I am rather confused. When I go over to "about this phone", the name of the phone is simply One Plus 8T. I cannot find any section that lists "Office A" as its name.View attachment 335453
Welcome to the forums. I think I know what you mean. The 'Device name' in About Phone is not related to your Google account, it's just a name that shows up when connecting to Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and such and you can change it. Tap the name and edit it.
Screenshot_20210722-160739.jpg

Waizor

Jul 22, 2021
Visit site
Hi all, thank you so much for the replies :)! Let me try to answer each one.
@B. Diddy, I also checked that in the last message, there is no account listed there. It simply says "One Plus 8T" as device name. No other information in that section regarding the name of the phone.
@mustang7757 That back-up setting is currently off. When I activate it, it only lists the only logged-in account on the phone: the correct one. When I activate that back-up and go back to Settings > Accounts, it still says "Accounts for Office A".
@Javier P, same answer as for B. Diddy, the phone is simply called "One Plus 8T" there. When I change that name to something else and save it, the Settings>Accounts section still mentions "Accounts for Office A".

In the end I do not really "care" that it says the old account name there, but it kinda gives me the feeling it is still connected to that old account somehow and I prefer to keep my private data off there.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi all, thank you so much for the replies :)! Let me try to answer each one.
@B. Diddy, I also checked that in the last message, there is no account listed there. It simply says "One Plus 8T" as device name. No other information in that section regarding the name of the phone.
@mustang7757 That back-up setting is currently off. When I activate it, it only lists the only logged-in account on the phone: the correct one. When I activate that back-up and go back to Settings > Accounts, it still says "Accounts for Office A".
@Javier P, same answer as for B. Diddy, the phone is simply called "One Plus 8T" there. When I change that name to something else and save it, the Settings>Accounts section still mentions "Accounts for Office A".

In the end I do not really "care" that it says the old account name there, but it kinda gives me the feeling it is still connected to that old account somehow and I prefer to keep my private data off there.
Is this a work phone?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
@Mustag7757 Nope, it is my personal phone. It is just over 24 hours "on" now. I cloned my old 3T who had that office account active in an inbox in Outlook, but it was never the main account of that 3T.
Gotcha, i was explaining in another thread was Samsung trying to restore back up to a new Samsung , i advise against it because settings and different andriod version can screw with settings in the newer phone .. just wanted to explain that .

Waizor

Jul 22, 2021
Visit site
Mm alright, so you are guessing that the cloning application simply messed something up? I will give a factory reset this weekend then, just to be sure :). Should some other solution cross your mind, let me know :). In any case, thank you very much for the help!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Mm alright, so you are guessing that the cloning application simply messed something up? I will give a factory reset this weekend then, just to be sure :). Should some other solution cross your mind, let me know :). In any case, thank you very much for the help!
Photos and texts messages are fine and files but settings can mess up.with new phones

Waizor

Jul 22, 2021
Visit site
There is something that would translate to Device administrator apps. There is nothing activated there. If I look for it in the search bar nothing pops up (also not in my language, tried multiple variations). What is it that that setting is supposed to show me? Maybe I can check whether that Device Administrator Apps is the correct one :).

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
There is something that would translate to Device administrator apps. There is nothing activated there. If I look for it in the search bar nothing pops up (also not in my language, tried multiple variations). What is it that that setting is supposed to show me? Maybe I can check whether that Device Administrator Apps is the correct one :).
Sure
852953ff828e55ea19edb763b6943703.jpg
dd4ea452281103131125f0693431c354.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781