Wrong Google account as main account

Waizor

Jul 22, 2021
Visit site
Hi all!

I bought a new One Plus 8T yesterday and cloned my old 3T with it so I could keep all my settings (Oneplus/Google cloning application from Play store). However, I believe the "main Google account" is wrong.

My One Plus 3T had several accounts logged in because of some email inboxes I had to keep track of at the time. Because I do not require these accounts anymore I removed all of them after cloning (Android said I could remove all these accounts after the cloning, so I did). However, when I now go to Settings -> Accounts it says the following:

Accounts for <old-account>:
Google <correct email, not linked to old account>
Reddit <correct email, not linked to old account>
Whatsapp
etc.

So it lists all those correct accounts, including my correct e-mail address, under a list that starts with "accounts for <old-account>". I checked this old-account by logging in on my laptop, it says nothing about an 8T being connected to this account and does not hold any data like contacts.

When I login to my correct (and current) Google account it does list my new phone and data.

So why is my phone listing all my currect accounts under a what seems to be an "over-arching" account name? This old account was never a main account by any means on my old 3T, it was just logged because of the inbox.

The problem is that I cannot seem to change that, the header "Accounts for <old-account>" is nothing more than that, just a header and I cannot click on it. I want to change it because that old account is still in use by other people (inbox for multiple purposes) and I do not want any link to my personal data to that account. How do I solve this?

Thanks in advance and all the best,

Waizor

Waizor

Jul 22, 2021
Visit site
Will do! Just a quick question: I kinda want to keep all the files, so I am inclined to leave the option "erase internal storage" off. It says this will keep all music, photo's, video's and other personal info. It will still reset system info like Account information, contacts and application data. This will only erase contacts from my phone only right? So not from my google account (online)?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Will do! Just a quick question: I kinda want to keep all the files, so I am inclined to leave the option "erase internal storage" off. It says this will keep all music, photo's, video's and other personal info. It will still reset system info like Account information, contacts and application data. This will only erase contacts from my phone only right? So not from my google account (online)?
Correct , and thats fine.

Waizor

Jul 22, 2021
Visit site
Well I'll be damned. I think I might have found the culprit.

When I go to Gmail -> Options (the 3 horizontal bars in the top left corner) -> Contacts (Under Google Apps) -> again options (3 horizontal bars top left corner) -> Settings. There it mentions "Office A" on the top, something I can change. However, it does not solve the problem when I change that name there. There is also an "accounts" button there, that still mentions "Accounts for Office A", even after changing & restarting the phone.

Just wanted to share that at least I found a setting where that name was entered, something related to my Google account where my contacts are stored. I have absolutely no clue why that info was there, but alas :p.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well I'll be damned. I think I might have found the culprit.

When I go to Gmail -> Options (the 3 horizontal bars in the top left corner) -> Contacts (Under Google Apps) -> again options (3 horizontal bars top left corner) -> Settings. There it mentions "Office A" on the top, something I can change. However, it does not solve the problem when I change that name there. There is also an "accounts" button there, that still mentions "Accounts for Office A", even after changing & restarting the phone.

Just wanted to share that at least I found a setting where that name was entered, something related to my Google account where my contacts are stored. I have absolutely no clue why that info was there, but alas :p.
Outlook you can't Uninstall under accounts?

Waizor

Jul 22, 2021
Visit site
You mean Gmail? Every time I want to delete the Gmail application in the Playstore it will simply not disappear. 2 Buttons: "remove" and "open". When I remove, it changes to "update" and "open". If I delete my e-mail address (IMAP) in accounts, it removes it from the Gmail application but the problem with "Office A" still persists :p.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You mean Gmail? Every time I want to delete the Gmail application in the Playstore it will simply not disappear. 2 Buttons: "remove" and "open". When I remove, it changes to "update" and "open". If I delete my e-mail address (IMAP) in accounts, it removes it from the Gmail application but the problem with "Office A" still persists :p.
Office A under your accounts settings on the phone can you remove it ?

Waizor

Jul 22, 2021
Visit site
It is not at that same location. In Gmail it simply has "my details" as that name - it was entered there as if "office" was my first name and "A" was my last name. I changed that, but that was in another location than the problem. It is however the only section I found that same name pop up - so that's why I thought it was related to it, but that does not seem to be the case. Under accounts it still says "accounts for Office A" and then the list with my accounts.

Waizor

Jul 22, 2021
Visit site
On your computer browser, go to myaccount.google.com. Does it say "Welcome, [your name]" there, or does it say "Welcome, Office A"?

It says my name there. However, I did change that thing in Gmail to my name, so either it was always my name or it was updated. The problem with the "accounts for Office A" still persist tho.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi B. Diddy, thanks for your fast reply! I checked it out and my correct Google account is logged into the phone (also, no other accounts are even in the drop-down list). This makes me think the phone is now actually 'named' after that old Google account? I have added an imagine to clarify. Under the blue line it says, let's say, Office A (old account). Under all the black lines it simply states my correct e-mail address (and the one I am logged into under the Google settings).

I am rather confused. When I go over to "about this phone", the name of the phone is simply One Plus 8T. I cannot find any section that lists "Office A" as its name.View attachment 335453
If you click on it here and Uninstall , what happens?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech