My wife has an Essential phone which we're getting ready to upgrade. We're with Sprint so of course getting a T-Mobile phone. They are offering us a free upgrade to a 5G phone and I believe our area has good coverage for it but I'm not sure whether to go with one of them or just get her a Pixel which is the only type of phone I've had for some years and will ever have if possible.

The phones they are offering are REVVL 5G, REVVL V+ 5G, Samsung Galaxy A32 5G, and OnePlus Nord N200 5G. So far I've not found any reason to prefer any one of those 4 over the others.

Anyone care to provide info as to getting one of these free trade-ups vs getting for example a Pixel 4A? Can't really say I see a compelling reason to get a 5G phone but free is free.

Jonathan
    07-29-2021 12:19 PM
    There's a reason those are free. Aren't the REVVL built by LG, who is no longer in the smartphone business? The other two are equal or more likely below the Pixel 4A in capability.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.
    07-29-2021 12:31 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Out of the free options listed, I'd go for the OnePlus Nord - but if you can get your hands on a Pixel device, that may give your wife a bit more of a premium experience.
    07-29-2021 01:14 PM
    One Plus would run a version of Android close to stock like the Essential, LG and Samsung have skins over Android that may or may not bother you.

Personally I'd go Samsung as that's what I'm familiar with, or invest into the Pixel.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    07-29-2021 02:27 PM
    I think being a Pixel user going to any of those phones would be a downgrade. There are too many compromises. The cameras for one are poor quality, especially the One Plus Nord. If you use pixels you will be very disappointed with them. I would get a 4a if possible. See if TMobile is offering that.

One of our Moderators @B. Diddy got a free Samsung A32 and didn't like the experience. Actually got himself a Pixel 3a XL instead. So again if you are used to Pixels that is unlikely to whet your taste buds.

The REVVLs sound like a lost cause. Also these phones are unlikely to get updates and the 4a will get Android 12, 13 and possibly 14 plus security for 2 more years. No guarantees on the others. All in all the 4a really is the way to go. Or the 4a 5G because that is a great phone and one I am using myself to write this post.
    J Dubbs and B. Diddy like this.
    07-29-2021 02:29 PM
    To be fair, the A32 5G is a pretty decent phone overall, given its low retail price (and the fact that it was essentially free with 24 months of bill credits). I'm just not crazy about all of Samsung's additions to Android, and much prefer the Pixel experience. And the camera is just no match for the Pixel's.
    J Dubbs, tube517 and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-29-2021 08:06 PM
    To be fair, the A32 5G is a pretty decent phone overall, given its low retail price (and the fact that it was essentially free with 24 months of bill credits). I'm just not crazy about all of Samsung's additions to Android, and much prefer the Pixel experience. And the camera is just no match for the Pixel's.
    Once you go pixel, it's hard to go back
    07-30-2021 03:23 AM
    Also, I want to add that the Essential Phone was AWESOME and I really wanted one but alas, my carrier didn't have the right bands. I too would agree that a Pixel or OnePlus phone's OS would give you a very similar experience to the Essential Phone.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-30-2021 06:22 AM
    Once you go pixel, it's hard to go back
    Unless you've used Samsung since 2012, stock android is an aggravating experience for me. Lol
    J Dubbs and Morty2264 like this.
    07-30-2021 07:24 AM
    Unless you've used Samsung since 2012, stock android is an aggravating experience for me. Lol
    What about a Pixel made by Samsung?
    07-30-2021 07:54 AM
    Thanks everyone for your responses. Just to be clear, I am the Pixel user and wouldn't trade it for anything. My wife has never had one but is a fairly basic user while I tend to be the "power user". I've noticed since I got her the Essential that she has trouble with it that I never have and while on trips she won't have a signal whereas I still have a decent one. So I definitely want her to have a better experience this time around. So I'm leaning towards a Pixel for her but am not sure at all about the usefulness of getting a 5G at this point. We're in the KC area so coverage is decent but for a basic user I'm not convinced 5G is needed.
    Let me know what you think about that.
    07-30-2021 03:12 PM
    4G LTE is still more than enough for the average user. But T-Mobile has been ramping up its 5G network expansion lately, so I think there's a better argument nowadays for getting a 5G phone for futureproofing, even if only for the next couple of years (since a lot can change in that short time frame).

A key thing to remember about the Pixel 4a and the 4a 5G is that they're different in more ways than just the 5G capability. This article gives you a good comparison: https://www.androidcentral.com/googl...5g-vs-pixel-4a
    07-30-2021 10:17 PM
    Yes, those are two way different experiences! Both wonderful in their own right.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-31-2021 01:44 PM
    I went ahead and bought her the Pixel 4A (sans 5G). I'm quite sure she'll be happy with it. The Essential phone is quite a bit like the pure Android on a Pixel so she's used to not having all the manufacturer "extras". I recall her being irritated with things in the Samsung she had prior to the Essential that were things installed by Samsung. Thanks everyone for your input.
    08-01-2021 01:05 PM
    I went ahead and bought her the Pixel 4A (sans 5G). I'm quite sure she'll be happy with it. The Essential phone is quite a bit like the pure Android on a Pixel so she's used to not having all the manufacturer "extras". I recall her being irritated with things in the Samsung she had prior to the Essential that were things installed by Samsung. Thanks everyone for your input.
    A Pixel 4a is a perfect phone for her if she is coming from an Essential Phone! What a great snag! Good for you! Hope she likes it!
    J Dubbs likes this.
    08-01-2021 03:16 PM