I bought a Sony NSX-32GT1 from a local charity and I'm stuck in the setup routine. It asks for my Google sign in info but keeps telling me that the user name and password don't match. If I try to setup a new account it say that it can't communicate with Google (probably because Google TV no longer exists). I have the original remote but I can't seem to get out of the setup loop. Is there anything I can do?
    08-02-2021 03:45 PM
    You may want to try contacting Sony about that. From what I've heard, smarty tv's in general are not that great long term due to lack of proper support from manufacturers. You may have to resort to flat out replacing it, which sucks from an e-waste perspective. Even if you get a smart tv, it would still be handy to have a Chromecast, Roku, or whatever streaming box separate because those devices seem better supported when stand alone.
    08-02-2021 04:17 PM
    You can't use it at all for HDMI input without signing in? That's really poor design by Sony!

To the point that @Mooncatt made - I bought an LG smart TV in 2014, by the time YouTubeTV launched in 2017 that TV was already too old to get a native app for it even though newer TV's from LG were running the same core OS (2015's DID get the native app). I bought a new Samsung 4K smart TV in December, it has native apps for the services I want to use yet I still use a Chromecast with Google TV on it.
    08-02-2021 04:45 PM
    Do you know just how old is that Sony NSX-32GT1 TV, or which version of the Google TV operating system it's running? Just looked up Google TV online and saw that Google killed it off back in 2014. Apparently the Google TV OS is Google's proprietary, branded user interface with various, also dated versions of the Android OS running underneath.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google...rating_system)

So yeah, perhaps the out of date software running on that TV is the problem.
    Try going into the Settings menu on the TV, go the Accounts menu, and delete any or all the accounts that might be listed there. Then using a computer or mobile device (presumably more modern) log into your Google account Security menu, go Devices, and delete that Sony TV entry (if there, might not be since you couldn't log into it using your account). Now back on the TV try adding your Google user account in the Settings menu again.

Are you sure your TV is properly connected to your home network? Be sure to double-check your router's setup page that your TV is connecting, online access is a given. Sony has online manuals available online for your model, might be helpful in just starting over the initial setup process.
    https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...-32gt1/manuals
    If there's a reset button on the casing or reset option in the Settings menu, you might want to use it to just reset the TV back to its original defaults.

A very last resort option, seeing as your model does have a HDMI port, you can use an external dongle like a Chromecast or Roku. Note you don't need to have your TV itself connected to your home network, it's the dongle connecting over WiFi that enables you to view online, streaming content. Your TV is then just getting it's signals from the dongle. Since you don't connect the TV itself to your home network, the TV doesn't use Google account access since all online access is through the dongle. It's important to note the significance of this setup -- you don't use the TV's remote to uses any apps and such running on the TV; you instead use your phone and the apps you have installed on it to interact with the Chromecast or whichever set-top dongle you chose. (i.e. you don't use the Youtube or Netflix or whatever app icon is on your TV's screen, you use the apps on your phone to view your online streaming content.

I've got an Android TV set up this way, with a Chromecast plugged into a HDMI port. The TV has no Google account set up on it any longer, we all just use apps on our mobile devices to interact with the Chromecast. Actually like this situation might work out well for you, the version of apps you use on your phone will be updated/upgraded more frequently and be more current, while the apps on your dated Google TV will more likely than not be older versions. (i.e. the Netflix app on your phone will be more current to so it supports the latest features and interface of Netflix's online service, while the TV version of the Netflix app will be out-of-date and will have limitations when viewing your Netflix content.)
    08-02-2021 05:31 PM
    smvim - Thank you for your answer.

The problem is that I can't get out of the setup routine. It seems that the only way through is to finish it, but I can't. I was able to get to an Android menu (by holding the power button down while plugging it in) but all I can do there is reset it to factory settings - which then puts me right back into the setup loop. I did see that it has the newest (2016) firmware, which is somewhat unfortunate as I found out that earlier versions can be hacked. I have tried both 2.4 and 5 ghz wi-fi channels and even plugged in an ethernet cable so I am getting online (the router shows an unknown device when it's hooked up and it disappears when I turn the TV off). I was hoping someone knew of a way to bypass the startup routine altogether.
    08-02-2021 10:22 PM